Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Finding quite a few down here - I'm at the "three corners" of Perry, Athens and Morgan county. Lots of does and bucks. Not many people reporting them. Seems to be picking up unfortunately getting more and more reports. Also a lot of reports of bucks that were daily visitors at feed stations vanishing a couple weeks ago.....too may for coincidence. Hopefully we can get an early frost.

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,645 Posts
We are losing quite a few around my place too. As most of you know EHD is transmitted to deer by a gnat type bug called a midge or no see um through bites or getting in their nose. It cannot be transmitted from deer to deer. What an awful disease but, there are a few things landowners and those that manage their hunting property can do to help prevent EHD. These midges breed in any kind of shallow water hole. Even tire ruts. If you have a pond or watering hole, it helps to have steep banks, eliminating shallow areas. Draining swampy areas by trenching also helps by eliminating breeding areas.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I know it is significant in some townships in my area. It is going to impact the future and I fully expect a change in hunting opportunity may be in order for next season if things continue at this pace. Lord only knows the true count and I suspect when the leaves get off and with folks in the woods lots more will be found.....hope to be very wrong!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts