Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Deer die every year in every county from EHD. Its usually not enough for most people to notice, but its always there.
3 years ago we had it bad in parma. Dead deer and stink all over. But amazingly in 2 years herd bigger than ever. Both mature and young deer. From what I see here, Not all deer in infected area get it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Morrow county was hit particularly hard maybe 8-10 years ago and still hasn’t rebounded completely. For about 2 summers we found dead deer all around ponds and creeks. Seems like bucks were more prevalent in my observations. It’s definitely not good.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Morrow county was hit particularly hard maybe 8-10 years ago and still hasn’t rebounded completely. For about 2 summers we found dead deer all around ponds and creeks. Seems like bucks were more prevalent in my observations. It’s definitely not good.
I found 2-3 dead bucks around a pond back in May, near a bedding area. I wondered if it was present in the area at all.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,636 Posts
My BIL has a cabin on near a farm that he has permission to hunt. One drought year he arrived during bow season to find that the little creek that flows through the farm was almost completely dry. He hunted 2 days, and didn't see a single deer. On the morning of day three again, no deer. He broke for lunch and decided to walk the entire length of that creek. Dead deer after dead deer! The midges that carry the EHD emerge when the bodies of water they inhabit dry up. The property took 3-4 years to rebound.

Reactions: threeten

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I’ve always assumed thats why I’ve been lucky around our farm. The small streams there have never dried up, there’s a plentiful supppy of fresh water and they never have to congregate around evaporating ponds. In the last 40 years I have found one single dead deer in Sept, a doe about 30 years ago. Not saying there haven’t been others I just didn’t find, but we’ve never had a bad outbreak even when buddies of mine nearby have.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I’ve always assumed thats why I’ve been lucky around our farm. The small streams there have never dried up, there’s a plentiful supppy of fresh water and they never have to congregate around evaporating ponds. In the last 40 years I have found one single dead deer in Sept, a doe about 30 years ago. Not saying there haven’t been others I just didn’t find, but we’ve never had a bad outbreak even when buddies of mine nearby have.
I have noticed the same. The creek through our place to my knowledge has NEVER stopped flowing as there's many springs that feed it. I will hear of people finding dead deer not far away and yet we rarely if ever find a dead deer at our place other than a few here or there after season that we're likely lost from bad shots from other farms

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
May have jinxed myself, I came across a dead doe today. Not really that close to water, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Seemed like an odd location for a deer dying of EHD, just along a path they travel each night. Tough to say, as long it's just one I'm not going to worry too much about it.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
The researchers at my work have found that when it does show up, very close to 100% of the herd is affected, not all die, the ones who don't, pass on that immunity and they have been able to trace that for 3-4 generations so that's why it's a number of years before another outbreak occurs within the same herd.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Was listening to a podcast with mark Drury. He said the years that seem to be the worst for EHD are the years with good wet springs and then drought conditions. All the puddles that the midges live in dry up and the number of midges carrying EHD basically explode

·
215 Posts
We found 3 dead bucks within a 200 yard area two years ago in Stark County. Contacted the ODNR, they didn't come out to look at the deer or take samples. I sent pictures of the deer to the warden to get permits for the antlers and the warden thought most likely EHD. Last year we didn't see a single mature buck on that property, nor did we see a lot of does. Hoping this year they make a recovery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts