Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bass fishing Saturday morning, throwing a chatterbait. Fishing was slow. I casted to the bank and my lure shot off to the right. Set the hook and the fight was on! Within a couple of seconds, the fish jumps out of the water. My brother starts laughing, its a gar. As I got it closer to the boat it jumps again. I yelled, get the net!! It's a muskie. I fought the fish for about a minute, got the fish to the boat and my brother nets it. Made the mistake of putting the netted fish in the boat. SLIME city. Got the hook out. Then placed my hand in the gill area to hold the fish for a photo. The fish starts flopping around shaking, my hand slides up into the mouth area and I get a real whoopin put on my right hand. My hand and my brother got it too, bled for 2 hours. Measured the fish, 36". My second biggest muskie for me. Biggest came from Cave Run Lake, 40". Nice fish, guessing it weighed around 12-15lbs. Very healthy thick fish. I got the picture on my phone. Will post later. Released in bleeding state. Not sure if she made it or not. She was bleeding and me and my brother were bleeding. Only 3 bass caught, all dinks, and one hybrid. Fished later for crappie, zeroed out. Water temps were 76 in the morning and by evening, it got up to 83 degrees. Fishing was sloooow!
Bassky:B

·
Registered
830 Posts
Post that photo I would love to see it. Maybe in the next year or 2 those fish take off! Hopefully.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Wow guys .... I'm a bit disappointed about some of these comments. Is it that hard to be respectful? Why not try to give suggestions on how to do it better next time? The muskie wasn't targeted by the obvious mention of bass fishing. Things are going to happen. I'm sure Bassky wasn't the only guy catching muskie Saturday morning.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
By the way BASSKY... good job. EF should hold some 40+ inch fish by now.

·
Bass tracker
79 Posts
I think posting info on how to properly handle musky would be a good thing especially for us bass guys who occasionally hook them from time to
Time. Have always wanted to catch one so congrats to the poster.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
717 Posts
Congratulations on the muskie. Cut the guy some slack. He wasn't prepared for the muskie. He could have even kept the fish if he had wanted to and used it for garden fertilizer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats! I caught a 36er bass fishing earlier this year to. Musky are tough. I'm sure it will take off fine. I hooked into many bass fishing. My best resolve was to always keep a glove and a pair of lip grippers in my box.. Lip grippers are a lot safer then gilling for you and the fish. I've caught more off shore than I have on a boat while bass fishin. ahah again great catch! Would love to see a pic.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
How about keeping comments like this to yourself. Don't see any need for it on here.
+1.

Looking forward to seeing the pic off your phone!

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Bassky - Congratulations on a nice catch, I too would love to see a picture of the fish.

On handling muskie & pike - The less time they spend out of water the better. If they are secure in a net of enough size, keep it in the water while removing the hook. If have problems getting the hook out of its mouth it is nice to have side nips to cut the hook. If cut in the right place, the barbed end will fall right out and you simply replace the hook later. Using a wet rubberized glove will help protect the slime layer and will keep your fingers from getting fouled up in the gills if you hand ends up under the gill plate. If you don't have bogogrip in the boat you can hold them very firm by the gill plate by turning your fingers out and grasping just the plate (keep fingers out of the gills). I have seen others handle them successfully by gripping firmly from the top of the head but I find this awkward for me and may not be an option on bigger fish. Support the lower end of the fish when lifting out of the water for a quick picture then get in back in the water.

I river fish almost exclusively and have not caught many muskie but have caught many pike. Carrying the side nips was the best move I ever made in terms of quick healthy release. At the first indication the hook is going to be stubborn I simply cut the hook as close to the entry point as possible and the lure comes right out. Hooks are very cheap to replace!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Don't read my posts. If I want to put on here I will. I don't need anyone to tell me what to post or not post. Uncalled for reply. It is never my intention to do harm to fish when I catch and release. I always try to not touch the fish or remove slime from the fish. Sorry some of you think so.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice fish bassky. Too bad the bass bite is slow. I got a bass club tournament Saturday on east fork...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was a bass tx last sat too. I talked to one fella, said he had 3 bass around 5lbs, fishing a small jig. Didn't see anyone catching any fish.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts