Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having luck with the crappies at East Fork? I struggled on Saturday with the wind and chop. Saw plenty of fish on the finder but could not buy a bite. Water temps started at 41 degrees at 8:30 a.m. and was 46 degrees when I left around 11:00.

· Registered
6,109 Posts
someone had stolen my converter.
That's some sad news.
This current rash of thefts makes me nervous to park nearly anywhere and is quickly eliminating some of my best spots, looking over your shoulder or worrying about your vehicle or belongings sure takes the fun out of a trip.
Sure hope they catch the low-life soon.
Looking like "one" more streak of cooler weather at the end of the week--- then it'll really be on ;)
Good luck and good fishing !

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I saw a shady dude driving by the north ramp on Saturday. He was driving what looked like a pickup converted into a contractor's truck with a covered bed. Had no words printed on it, looked old and beat up. He didn't look like a fisherman or anyone interested in sight seeing. He was dishelved looking, maybe early 30s, messy hair, half-shaven and probably spent the night doing drugs or drinking from a 5th of Old Grandad. That look - if you know what I mean. He came down the hill, swung by the ramp and continued back up the hill without stopping. I tried to get the plates, but he was too far away. My spidy sense told me as I watched him that he's the guy stealing converters. If you see this character trolling the parking lots get his plates and report him as a person of interest.

C-Dude - did you notify the ranger? If I see this guy again, I'll do my best to get his plates.

· Registered
5,279 Posts
TO EVERYONE... Yes, it was at the Bantam (Tate) ramp. We didn't get to the lake until maybe 2:00 and only fished until 6:30-7:00. Because of this current rash of stealing we left biting fish because we wanted to get out before it got dark.
Actually with my truck and my friends truck they were both hit during daylight hours so I guess that doesn't matter.
Since I'm retired and can fish anytime, I generally try to go when there are less people around. I guess I'll have to change my tactics and only fish when it's busy.

This really sucks, I've been fighting some really nasty hip pain issues since last Sept. The problem was thought to be coming from my hamstring and inflamed tendons but that wasn't the case. I finally got a correct diagnosis (it's coming from my back) and on March 3rd I got an epidural which gave me some partial relief. After 6 months of only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, waking up every morning with severe nerve pain, I started sleeping again. I got a second shot last week and now it's getting even better.
Besides not sleeping I had a hard time even sitting down and getting dressed was a real chore or impossible.
When I went fishing Monday it was the 1st time out in my boat in over 6 months without pains shooting through my hip and legs, it was glorious....until I got back to the ramp.

I did file a report with the park ranger. The ranger indicated that the Bantam ramp isn't alone in having this problem. He seemed hesitant ti get specific as to where the other problem areas are. The ranger had told me there was a work crew down by the ramp in the afternoon and he himself was there until 4:30. He has some suspicions as to who it MAY be but of course they can't go by hunches. I'm at EF almost every day, I have my suspicions too.
The ranger said he hoped that this one bad incident wasn't going to keep me from enjoying the lake. It absolutely does! I like to go over there and walk, or hike or just walk in to some more remote areas and fish from shore. I got to say I'm leery of doing any of that anymore. I always enjoyed being the last guy out on the lake, I got to rethink that I guess.

This crap has just got out of hand and is getting even worse.

· Registered
5,279 Posts
That's some sad news.
This current rash of thefts makes me nervous to park nearly anywhere and is quickly eliminating some of my best spots, looking over your shoulder or worrying about your vehicle or belongings sure takes the fun out of a trip.
Sure hope they catch the low-life soon.
Looking like "one" more streak of cooler weather at the end of the week--- then it'll really be on ;)
Good luck and good fishing !
Yeah, I'd be careful. I believe it's mostly trucks that are being targeted. There's more value in the larger converters.
You might be okay if you got a car, especially one that sits real low to the ground.
Getting this thing fixed is going to be a pain too. The dealer I want to take it to is a week out just getting it in for an appointment to check it out.

· Registered
81 Posts
So sorry to hear that. I hope your back pain continues to heal. I guess we need to do start doing stake outs at the ramps until something is done. I hate to have to carry when I am fishing but I guess it may come to that. I hope they get this problem fixed soon so you can start fishing during the week again. Thought about taking a half day vacation next week with the nice weather coming but now rethinking that. Prayers you are pain free soon.

· Registered
10,405 Posts
Yes, I know, Old thread but this needs to be said. Any junkyard buying used converters should be “required by Law”) to require a drivers license(or other photo ID) from anyone selling high-end “junk”! And to copy the ID, file it with a description of the item! I think pawn shops are already required to do this!? IMO, they are just as guilty as the thief since this is the same as receiving stolen property! Dry up the “bank”, the thefts will stop! There might be “wrist slapping” laws already but someone has to “enforce” them! Where’s the Insurance Company “lobby“ for the catalytic converter claims:??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts