close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eerie Tribs Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Utard, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Utard

Utard

<<<kkssshhh, may I have your attention please?>>>
    :p

We (Janus and myself) are in the process of organized an OGF/FAOL fishing get together at the end of March. This is not an RSVP type of thing. There won't be any banners, sponsors, check in desk, name tags or pot-lucks. Just getting together to meet some fellow, friendly anglers, shoot the breeze and FISH!! The main purpose here is to fish, so we're stripping it down bare and offering a general invitation to all for a day of fishing. If you want to make a weekend out of it, then that's cool. But we are only really offering a Saturday fishing trip.

Plans right now are for March 29th (we're hoping to get into the tail end of the steel and get a head start on some nice smallie fishing at the same time). We'll be fishing the Rocky River. Exact destination, and specific time: TBA. The purpose of this notice is just to let you great folks know about a semi-organized fishin venture. Now is your chance for a bunch of friends to get together in a very informal setting to fish together. You don't have to PM us or anything, but if you would like to, feel free and we'll be happy answer any questions you have.

Date: 03/29/08
    Time: Early AM (Or whenever you want to show up)
    Place: Rocky River (specifics TBA)
    Food: Bring what you want. If you wanna share then cool, but don't feel obligated

Put it on the calendar and come meet some of the guys you spend your work hours talking to. ;)

Thanks guys!

*This will also be announced on FAOL (Fly Anglers Online) website.

2. this is cool! i never fished rocky, heard it has quite a few smallies. could try fly rod out there.

3. I hope you guys have a great trip. I will say if the lake does not reach 52 degrees at least by then the smallies will not show up in numbers untill that temp. The steelhead will be in thick due to our winter/spring run fishery, and depending on the lake temps / water levels could be around untill may!!! Jus ta lil heads up gents. I used to chace those smallies all over the great lake peirs, and breakwalls just my humble opinion.

4. Utard

Utard

Thanks for the input 007. Would be nice to see you up, but that's quite a drive for one day of fishing I guess.

Flyman,

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to check out some of the past posts here about fly roddin for steel. This will be my virgin run after them and I pretty stoked. There are some good threads here in the recent past that show sweet flies to have and discuss rod types and lines and tippet and all you need to know!

5. With 7 Grandkids, I NEVER know exactly what will happen...ie emergency babysitter, etc, but I plan to be there if at all possible. I'll plan on making some of my peanut butter fudge if any others have a sweet tooth & MAYBE some Italian Sloppy Joes...made with hot & sweet Italian sausage, plus spices. Good stuff!!
    Mike

6. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

If you are after smallmouth give it a month or two.
    By then the lake run smallmouth are in and the gar will be too. :)

7. Utard

Utard

Soap,

That seems to be what I keep hearing.

The main objective here is steel, so I think we'll be able to get into some. The smallies can wait as far as I'm concerned!

8. sorry to disappoint u utard, this is my 5th steel season:) however it would be nice to hook into some smallies

9. We are all going to meet at the Morley Ford parking lot March 29th. Utard and I will be there at sunrise .. come by there are picnic tables there etc. etc. we will have a little meet and greet and then go fish. PM me if you need directions.
    Thanks,
    Janus

10. gsteel

gsteel Banned

Count us in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

11. Utard

Utard

Just in case anyone was wondering about this weekend--at this point I am still planning on heading up to fish. As expected some aren't able to make it and I suspect the rain might deter more folks as well. Obviously this will be up to your own discretion, but I plan on going still and I know of at least a few others who are. I haven't heard about the above gsteel crew--but they look like they aren't afraid of anything so I'm sure they'll ALL still be there. ;)

12. I'm hoping it holds out.
    One of gsteel's crew wears a watch so they should be prompt.

13. lol... if all is well i think i shall make an appearence...
    ... Is this Only for the Flyfishin folks only......

Frank

14. No I don't think so. It may very well be dominated by flyrodders but all are welcome.
    Janus

15. Utard

Utard

Because we haven't figured out a way to section off the river with angry wolverines so that only a select few get to fish that morning (and even if we did, I'm sure someone out there packs a frickin 12 gauge !@ to take care of them) it will be open to all. ;)

Although some may have prejudice one way or the other this get together is open to anyone using legal means of fishing! Like Janus said, it might be a little more populate with the long rods, but there are no requirements beyond those designated in the Proclamation and on the ODNR website.

PS: sorry for the Napoleon Dynamite reference. It just "popped in there"...............crap, now I'm quoting Ghost Busters! I'll just stop now :)

16. Utard

Utard

As another update, unfortunately I am no longer able to attend this Saturday. Due to a living situation conflict I will not be in attendance. Janus and others are still planning to fish and I know that all who attend will have a great time! We'll have to set something else up in the near future for the OH fly folks to match some names to faces. Good luck to all, hope you do well and have a great time!

17. Rocky River flow is cirrently at 7,000 it fishes well under 500... not looking good. may have to be postponed until mother nature gives us a good dry stretch...we should all watch the flows.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?04201500
    Janus

18. Hey brian---wanna buy some split shot?---:D

19. I think I'll use a bowling ball.

20. LOL! Gives new meaning to "roll casting"!!
    Mike