Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
captainhook
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a guy from work out this morning. Was surprised at the breeze that was blowing but went out to 53 feet by the crib and started trolling. Wind kept picking up and I could hardly change direction. It blew us to 65tft. Pink panties worm harness and fire tiger spoon did most of the damage. 3 setting, 115-120 back. Long ride back in for my Crestliner!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I started up in 35' heading to the west side of the crib with the waves. Managed 5 by the time we hit the 53' mark. So we tried it again. Only managed 1 more keeper on the 2nd try. So talked to a guy on the radio who was doing good out in 60', and we headed out their around 11 am. Did manage to get our last 6 in about an hour and a half. All came on 3 colors of lead core and shallow diving bandits in blue chrome. That set up has been my best set up all summer. Dipsys did nothing but pull small fish on them. From 58' to 62' of water was our best depth. Wasn't fast and furious, but it did save the day. Thanks to whoever that was out their that gave me the report on the radio.
I need to get some of those Ranger Pig Yozuri's. lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
I started up in 35' heading to the west side of the crib with the waves. Managed 5 by the time we hit the 53' mark. So we tried it again. Only managed 1 more keeper on the 2nd try. So talked to a guy on the radio who was doing good out in 60', and we headed out their around 11 am. Did manage to get our last 6 in about an hour and a half. All came on 3 colors of lead core and shallow diving bandits in blue chrome. That set up has been my best set up all summer. Dipsys did nothing but pull small fish on them. From 58' to 62' of water was our best depth. Wasn't fast and furious, but it did save the day. Thanks to whoever that was out their that gave me the report on the radio.
I need to get some of those Ranger Pig Yozuri's. lol
With that lead core set up are you trolling real slow? Thanx

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
With that lead core set up are you trolling real slow? Thanx
No. I am going 2.0 to 2.4 mph on GPS. I am putting it out on a board. I have about a 20' leader of Floro from the lead core to the bait. Also have the lead core segmented on with a braid backing. I put out all 3 colors then let it all out till about 5' of braid is past the last eyelet. Then I attach the board to the braid backing. I am sure you could run some husky jerks or any cranks on this set up.

·
Boat name: Reelin n Dealin
687 Posts
No. I am going 2.0 to 2.4 mph on GPS. I am putting it out on a board. I have about a 20' leader of Floro from the lead core to the bait. Also have the lead core segmented on with a braid backing. I put out all 3 colors then let it all out till about 5' of braid is past the last eyelet. Then I attach the board to the braid backing. I am sure you could run some husky jerks or any cranks on this set up.
So those fish must have been up in the top 20’ of the water column then bc 3 colors of lead core with a shallow stick bait is probably only putting you down 15’ - 18’. Glad to hear there still up high and not down 50’ yet.
Did you try any bandits or deep diving stick baits unassisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So those fish must have been up in the top 20’ of the water column then bc 3 colors of lead core with a shallow stick bait is probably only putting you down 15’ - 18’. Glad to hear there still up high and not down 50’ yet.
Did you try any bandits or deep diving stick baits unassisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we did try another bandit 90' back, but it didn't get touched. Our last 5 walleye came on the lead core bandit set up. And everyone of those walleye were 22" to 27" long. I think the shallow diving bandit has a little bit of a different action then the deep diving one does. And for some reason that is what they like.
I will say that I have put the shallow running bandit on a dipsy many times, but have yet to catch a walleye on it. I can't explain why it is working on the lead core, other then it is just in the right zone of water. Even with the water being 77 degrees like now. I would run 4 lines of it, but I don't have any confidence that if the outside board got hit that it would make it over the inside one without making a horrible tangled mess. lol

·
Registered
582 Posts
What's neat about leadcore is it imparts a serpentine vertical motion to the lure. which is probable what's the trigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts