close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Edgewater trip

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Chippewa, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Wow... what a beautiful day to be on the ice saterday!!! ..... Walleyeguy, Carl, and I went to edgewater saterday and had a ball.... Got over 200 smelt, 4 perch, and I got my first steelhead :D ...... The steelie was a surprise... using ultralite pole with 4 pound test and using a micro super glow jig form jammin jigs ( they sure make some awesome jigs)tipped with maggies.... You want to talk about a drag screamin!!!! Big thanks to Carl and walleyguy for clearing the ice out of the hole and gaffing it for me....
    [​IMG]

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

sounds like a great day!

how was the ice up there? (thickness?)

3. We were rather close to the marina area by the steel tie up posts.
    Ice is nearly 3 feet thick right there.
    In the open part of edgewater ice is well over 19 inches thick.
    It got a little warm yesterday and the snow was melting a bit.
    Wear your rubber boots to keep your toes dry. I sure with temps in the mid 50's it will be rather wet there.

4. Oh Yea,, That Steelie was 20 inches long.
    After a few minutes on the ice there were over a dozen minnows that had came out of it and it even had what was left over from a night crawler in its mouth.

5. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Nice steelie!!!

Did the smelt have any size to them compared to the ones we were dipping before the ice cover? Also, were you night fishing or day fishing?

6. Sorry boys, I have fat fingers,
    The ice in the open part of edgewater is not 19 inches thick. It is 9 inches to 12 inches thick.
    The Smelt were an Avg. of 5-5.5 inches long. There were a few 6 inchers in the mix also.
    We were fishing the daylight hours.

7. Now that's what I want to do, catch a steelie through the ice!!!!