Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit edgewater this am with the kids fishing by the ramp and rocks . I got 5 really nice bass . all off beds . all fish went back in the water where caught. kids had fun too

·
fishing fool
370 Posts
OK, I'll be the party pooper. IMHO, it's really not a good idea to do this. If those were male bass, it's been well documented that it takes the gobies a matter of minutes to wipe the nest out of eggs and fry. So, you may have sacrificed all those bass even though you released the fish. I know it's fun, we used to do it too. You could catch the same bass two or three times and he'd go right back to guarding the nest. But, that was before the gobies appeared on the scene. With the stress on the smallmouth population, it's best to leave them alone even though it's still legal to fish for them this time of year.

·
multi species angler
4,369 Posts
He didn't mention that they were smallies. I am guessing that they were largemouth. Either way it doesnt matter. Just think about how many fish are pulled off the beds this time of year out by the islands.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they were all largemouth . They were male fish the females were there also so . but caught only the males and put them back in a matter of seconds and they were back with there female in less then a minute

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Thanks for the report. I need to get down there some night this week. What did you get them on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts