Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the fish bite here was just as some people said and that was crazy. Two of us went out near the pack of boats in about 40fow a little northwest of the stadium and caught over 100 fish easily. Problem was there were tons of different fish and lots of small ones. But the Jumbos rolled in eventually and we settled for 40 keepers or so and ran out of minnows thanks to all the sheepsheads and what not. But the good thing was is that the bite never stopped or slowed down from 10am to 2pm while we were out.

And here's a question now. Anybody every actually try to fillet and eat White Perch? Ive had White Bass and they are good, but these white perch I thought were like junk fish. I ask because some of the ones caught today were big and fat and just made me wonder...

:confused: this weather sucks :confused:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What kind of boat were you in? We were in the same area today, and a grey Crestliner center console.

We only got about 15 keepers. We only had a couple sheeps, but smaller perch, and white perch and white bass.

My son was feeding the smaller white perch to the gulls. I'm amazed they can swallow a 6" fish whole.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Had a friend who was keeping the white perch and said they were pretty good. Thought about trying some, then looked at the Ohio Fish Advisory list. For some reason they are listed same as catfish - recommendation is to limit consumption to one meal per month. Given that and all the yellows out there, I decided, for me, why eat the stuff if one doesn't have to?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I go out in a smaller white Renken boat. I normally stay a little on the outskirts of the pack of boats. But yeah, I went out Monday and caught the same amount of fish and ran out of minnows again, but I did keep one White Perch and even some big White Bass that came outta nowhere. So Im just going to cook up the 3 different fish all exactly the same and figure out if its worth it lol. But I agree, if its not highly recommended and the yellow perch keep biting, theres no sense in keeping them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts