Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Permanent Part Time
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took Hippy and I longer to get out to the fishing grounds than it did to catch 12 Walleye:D
We were greeted at Edgewater by 3-5 waves and a parking lot full of boats trying to decide if they should go out.Launched boat around 8 am and started fishing at 8:45.It took that long to get out a mile past crib.Pulled the last fish at 9:30.
I hope that guy I passed on the way out in the 14 foot aluminum turned back.
Lots of long faces in the parking lot.Hope it lays down for ya.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Went up from southern Portage cty. We launched but came back in after about maybe a half mile to the crib. Figured not worth it to try to troll in that stuff and pay for it this evening and tomorrow!
I can't enjoy myself when I can't walk around confortably in a 20 ft. boat. Yeah, it can be done and I've done it, but I've got a freezer full of fish and a just don't need a few more under those conditions. It's really not just about the fish for me anymore! There'll be another day. What I wonder is who is forecasting 2-3's when they're actually 3-5 foot rollers?
I saw a couple 14 footers in the parking lot around 9 with wet people walking around so I guess they made it back?!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I came out from portage county myself Randolph township. I was bareing the wind and waves in a 16 foot boat and gave in after about 3 hrs. I just looked at the crib cam and it looked like the lake was calming down but then a small craft came into the picture, it's definatly still rough at there that little boat was really struggling.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I couldn't imagine trying to troll lines in that chop, but I've never had the gear do any trolling, and haven't experienced the practice, so yea 3 hrs for 5 fish but at least an hour of that was just getting out then back in, and that myself and one other guy too, go ahead rub it in a little more at least I was out there trying hard.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Looked at the winds and the data from the Vermilion buoy at 5 AM. Made a phone call to cancel the trip and went back to bed.

Smooth sailing there!

·
Permanent Part Time
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trolling in rough water is not bad at all as long as you do not try to go into the wind.As we set up I passed another boat that was drifting and watched them pull 3 fish.At first I thought they were trolling because we matched speed for almost 5 minutes.
My boat is almost 35 years old so she has experience;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wonder what it would take to get a bouy to record the waves off Cleveland or even something on the crib. We went out in the "2" -"3" footers after fishing inside the mouth of the cuyahoga trolled dipsy's from 42ft to the crib and back pulled ten on two rods in the water, Had to get in by noon. I've been out of the lake erie fishing for some time due to life in general, I would like to thank my Father for all of the things he taught me in my younger years like fishing, knots, seamen ship and respect for mother erie, I used every bit of it today out there, I know he is smiling down from above!
Also Thanks to everone else for the great tips:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bobinstow, looks like you made a good call for us today! Maybe sometime later this week the waves will calm down for us!! Last thing I needed was sea legs this afternoon!

Great courage for the those that did make it out.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The buoy is not a cam but is a real time record (within an hour) of the weather out on the water off Vermilion. Wind and wave data. Freyedknot has the link above.

The Wildwood link freyed has posted is also great. Good info on wind conditions.

I also look at the Burke Lakefront airport report. Aviation needs accurate wind reports. Wind will help you figure out what is happening on the water.
http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KBKL.html

There's lots of good sites listed above the Erie Reports at this site. Check out the Team OGF heading above. Good tools to help you make wise decisions.

Good luck and be safe out there.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,225 Posts
You could also just call Mike at Shine's Tackle, he always knows what the Lake is doing.
We were going to head out later in the afternoon, but it was kicked up pretty good. Good day to drink a few beers and clean up the boat.
The boats is gleaming, and we watched a fellow (may have tipped a few too many) drive his 36ft Formula into the river bank and old pier pilings at Irishtown Bend, just across from the Commodore's Club Marina. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts