Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new (to me) boat out for its first trip on Erie. Launched out of edgewater. The day started a little rough, once we cleared the breakwall and got going, the lid of the cooler we left near the bow blew off at light speed and hit me in the head, didn't even have time to blink. Broke my sunglasses and left a nice cut above my eye.

Didn't have a fish finder so we head for the pack in about 43 fow off the browns stadium. Hooked up immedietly with a couple nice perch but then it slowed down. Ended up going to the crib and drifted up a 5 lb walleye. Used worms all day.

Total for the trip, about a dozen perch, one walleye and too many white bass. Got lucky, no sheephead though. And found out seagulls can swallow a white bass whole!

Aside from the cooler, the only other problem we had was not being able to get the anchor to set. We ended up slowly drifting away from every spot we anchored in at.

Going back out Friday to try it again, this time with the cooler in the back.

Might try to find one of the artificial reefs, anyone have any luck with those? The odnr website says there should be smallmouth around it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Took my new (to me) boat out for its first trip on Erie. Launched out of edgewater. The day started a little rough, once we cleared the breakwall and got going, the lid of the cooler we left near the bow blew off at light speed and hit me in the head, didn't even have time to blink. Broke my sunglasses and left a nice cut above my eye.

Didn't have a fish finder so we head for the pack in about 43 fow off the browns stadium. Hooked up immedietly with a couple nice perch but then it slowed down. Ended up going to the crib and drifted up a 5 lb walleye. Used worms all day.

Total for the trip, about a dozen perch, one walleye and too many white bass. Got lucky, no sheephead though. And found out seagulls can swallow a white bass whole!

Aside from the cooler, the only other problem we had was not being able to get the anchor to set. We ended up slowly drifting away from every spot we anchored in at.

Going back out Friday to try it again, this time with the cooler in the back.

Might try to find one of the artificial reefs, anyone have any luck with those? The odnr website says there should be smallmouth around it.

sounds like you need more anchor rope. the rule of thumb is 3x the depth. 40ft deep = 120 ft rope

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try turning the cooler hinge side forward.. Lol
Bad experience for the first trip... But not as bad as a buddy of mine..
He had gotten a tri-hull, pre ran the motor, and all seemed well.. He took his older brother out with him, who has health problems from being over weight, and 2 bad knees.. They got a lil over a mile out and decided to drift fish for some walleye.. After about 30 min.. They noticed there was water building up inside the boat, checked the bilge pump, wasn't working.. So they headed back in... Motor stopped, they were almost sank, finally got the motor running again, and made it back in.. Took the boat to a local marina and had them look at it all.. No power to the pump, and 3 large cracks in the hull.. He paid $500 for the boat.. The marina mechanic told him he didn't get a bad deal though.. Because the motor was worth $1800... Lmao
He scraped the boat... Lol
and kept the motor for another boat..

·
Registered
827 Posts
ahhhh...fond memories of my first outing in my then new boat!! I took my teenage son with me for the inaugural launch in our new 19ft Tracker bass boat from the launch just east of Burke Lakefront (don't know the name of it?) It was mid-May and the plan was to fish the breakwall. Leaving the marina area, we headed into 2-3' chop in the small open area before I could tuck back behind the East end of the wall. I shut my boat off, dropped the trolling motor and began to fish West down the back side of the wall. After about 10 mins my sons questions why so much water seems to be in floor/cockpit of the boat and should it be there? Clearly should not have been there! In a momentary panic, I decided to start the motor and head back to launch. About a third of the way there with a weighted down aft from all the water and 3footers rolling over the back of the boat, the light bulb went off...I forgot the PLUG!!! I would surely sink on my first time out if I tried to make it back. I reversed course, gunned it to behind the wall where it was calm, and lucky for looonnnggg arms, I was able to reach the drain hole and in the cold water get the plug placed. Luckily everything was still operational even after having batteries swamped and the bilge did it's job. After about 2hrs the water was nearly emptied. I still think I was pretty jacked up on the panic adrenaline rush from the prospect of sinking and the long dangerous swim to shore, and most importantly, my son's safety. Thank goodness it all worked out. We haven't been out since that my son, 6yrs later, asks me if I remembered the plug before I drop the boat. Clearly had an impact on him!! LOL :D I am happy to report the experience also had a profound impact on me too...even though he still asks...I have NEVER AGAIN forgot that plug!! Glad to hear your were not more severely injured, that could have been much worse.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after hearing all these stories, I guess we did do alright for the first time out! The first thing I did after buying the boat was take it in for a tuneup. Found out the bilge pump wasn't working. It would run and make noise, but nothing would actually pump out. Glad to have found that out prior to hitting the water.

Thanks for the tip on the anchor rope, we did have plenty of rope but I don't think we were letting anywhere near enough out. Definitely makes sense thinking about it, as more rope would mean less of an angle and make it easier to dig in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My buddy just went out on a charter out of Port Clinton (Fishermans Warf). They ran over and drift casted the reefs, using castable worm harnesses and Erie Deries. He did very good, largest fish just shy of 9# had a 7# and couple of 5#ers. Said he had couple shake off at the boat also. Stay off the reef ....fish the deeper sides. Good luck out there! FYI Gold was the color of the day. Blade and beeds. Sz.6 blade.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have had a boat for over 20 years and every first trip of the year its like ok
lets get the gremlins out so the rest of the year will be fine. You won't
have any bad luck the rest of the year. Good fishing.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts