close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ECheck Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Mar 25, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I have a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 167K miles on it. Today it failed ECheck. It passed on everything but the NitrogenOxygen compounds. It has a limit of 956.0 but tested at 1304.6

Any suggestions? I called a repair place & basically said they would make sure it passes, if nothing else by having me spend $300 so it hits the Repair Cap Waiver, but I dont have $300

2. worminator

worminator I'll be bach

give this a shot before you pay for a repair. you only pay if it passes so try this. Let the fuel tank get down to about half way and get some high octane gas in her. If the e-check is close that's good also. Get the engine up to normal temp and take the test.
    Iv'e done this every time with a few cars that were in the late 80's and early 90's. Got the green lite every time. You could also try a different e-check station if it's not too far out of your way. Post your results. Hope it works.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

That e-check thing is a pain in the ying-yang. I would like to see the numbers on how it actually helps. I want to see the pollution numbers before they implemented and now after they had it implemented for several years. Anyone know where I can find that data? Prove me wrong and I'll be a believer.

4. NOX is causing most high milage cars fail echeck.Most of the time you just have to spend the $300.to get a vaiver.Sorry but this is the way it is :( High combustion temps is the biggest problem.

5. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

an oil change, new air filter ,and a fuel filter can help. they used to say to put in some dry gas /either to your tank before you go.is the limit @300.00. it used to be @ 100.00. this must be another (create jobs effort).

6. catking

catking Banned

I believe they will discontinue this practice at the end of this year. But with " special " gas mixtures, we will be paying MORE than doing e-checks..So I heard.......... THE CATKING !!! :rolleyes:

7. gstrick27

gstrick27 ITS BLUEJACKETS TIME!!!!!

had the same problem last yr, the cause is not enough air and lack of back pressure, a quick fix is to replace the air filter, i tried this and it improved greatly, but still failed. i eventually had to have a new catalytic converter put on, found a place that did it for 125 bucks. not cheap but better than 300. good luck, but just think it sounds as though we only have 1 more yr of this.

8. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

It is very possible that you have a failing Oxygen Sensor.
    Have you noticed a drop in fuel economy?
    These can and do fail without tripping a check engine light.
    Some auto manufacturers reccomend replacing them as part of a major tune up at 1000,000 miles.
    Good advice on the air filter also.
    Make sure to take the vehicle out on a good highway run before e-check.
    Cold engines are notoriously dirtier.

9. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

I think the 1 year depends upon where you are. Here in Summit County I think it's going to continue until who know when. The chaged it so that if your car is less than 5 years old your exempted I think. City buses and semi's need to be checked. Maybe that's why your big cities have so much contamination in the air.

10. i hope you are right Catking. from what i've heard they can't quit now because of all the money commited to it.
    i had a HUGE headache with the e test this year. i have a 2000 Passat that is a great car but the engine light came on and i flunked the e test. if you flunk the test it's a whole different thing when you go back to retest. to make a very long story short, after FOUR TRIPS TO THE DEALER i got it resolved. i had no problem with the dealer (it was a small, hard to find problem), my problem was with the e check system. what a colossal pain. as if my 2000 passat was tooling around polluting all the air. :mad:

pik-n-fin

11. I have to say that the NOX part of echeck is a buch of bull!!!Other than that it should keep going.Before echeck most people would only do something to their car to make it run clean if it no longer ran.Just my 2 cents.

12. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Another item that sucks is that if you buy a used car, no matter what year it is, you must have it e-checked. I just bought a 2002 and shouldn't have to have it e-checked until 2006 (even-even). But I must have it e-checked regardless.

13. H2O Mellon

I was told to go buy, "Guarantee To Pass ECheck" It has a "Double Your Money Back Guarantee". I asked & so far no one has failed. Found it as much as $15 per bottle or as little as $8 a bottle

14. on my car it was the egr valve. 60.00 bucks and she passed.

15. H2O Mellon, was your cars engine hot. i.e. was it at operating temp. 2 reasons for this, the choke may not be closed on that engine if it isn't at operating temp (e-check) under 1 mile from my house...happened, and the catalyst may not be hot and fully reacting. Chances are, with a 1995, if the catalytic converter hasn't been changed, it may be due. I ended up doing that, after I'd replaced everything else. Should be able to buy one from auto zone and find someone to help you cut the old one out and put the new one on...with a couple fittings too. When you find a bit more cash, get it welded till then use the u-bolt fittings...if it leaks a bit, no problem, the air will help your results. My results were from failing quite miserably to passing the short test, all thanks to a new cat. Happy hunting. P.S. the cat shouldn't be near $300 I wouldn't think...I could be wrong though.

16. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

What is E CHECK???

I have never had this done?

17. E=emissions; E-Check=pain in the arse

18. H2O Mellon

Jack, thank your lucky stars you dont have this.
    Thanks for the help guys.

19. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

OK Bryan, why do you have this and I dont?

20. if you saw what I had here good if not good too ;) :D