close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eating fish from local waters (Sheepshead)

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Patriot, Jul 20, 2004.

1. This time of the year, all of our waters get pretty funky-looking, with the algae bloom, some worse than others. Some look okay, like Hoover & Alum, others don't look so good, as we peer into them, scum in the rapids, or one look at Buckeye, Indian or Grand Lake Saint Mary's will make you wonder how anything could survive.

If you gut a catfish out of the previous 3 mentioned, the smell will overcome you, during the hot months. You'd never eat it. I personally wouldn't eat any fish caught from those 3 lakes after the algae bloom has taken over, and I'd give it serious thought year-round. The bottom on those lakes is a muck that you hate to get on you, it feels awful, & it holds years of pollution waiting to get stirred up. It gets stirred up by storms, but more by the big powerboats that roil it up every year.

Housing developments along the shoreline of the public lakes put massive amounts of lawn fertilizer runoff into the waters, & it feeds the algae. Waters on the Scioto are getting hammered. At least the Scioto is a river, it cleanses itself, so-to-speak, when we have heavy rains, but it all runs downstream.

When I want to catch fish to eat, I fish Hoover, or Big Walnut Creek. No guarantees that there aren't any pollutants, Hell, that's everywhere. But I don't see any brown foam in the rapids on Big Walnut, or any condoms floating by, and Hoover Reservoir seems pretty pristine to me, I've been fishing it for over 30 years.

Sheepshead? They are actually great to eat. Not as much meat as you'd think, but a good size sheepshead will filet a nice piece of meat. Hey, you Lake Erie fishermen, keep a sheepshead & clean it, don't tell the party. I did it once, nobody could tell it from the walleye! True!

Sheepshead aren't a "dirty" fish, they'll hit lures just like a smallmouth. They're just not a very meaty fish like a walleye, that's why they're unliked. I've cleaned a ton of them, they're like white bass, bloody, and they need to be put on ice quick to keep the meat firm.

I see people eating fish out of all our rivers & reservoirs, during all seasons, I might not do it, but I don't see a bunch of people with tumors popping up, & I've seen this for 30 years.

When you buy fish from the grocery store, do
    you think it's contaminant-free? I beg to differ. That is impossible, unless it was raised in an aquariam.

We have polluted our waters, But look at how some species have adapted, survived, & thrived!

Wade Big Walnut Creek with me when the water is normal, or low, from the Broad Street Bridge to Hamilton Road, over the Summer. You need nothing but a rod & reel. I make my own buzz baits, I'll supply the lures, it's the only lure you'll need. I use top-notch parts. You'll catch more smallmouth bass than you could imagine, I guarantee it. The water can't be muddy, & the lower the better.

Take me up on the offer, I'm ready now...861-3849, ask for Ed

2. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

I too cleaned a sheepshead we caught on a Walleye charter and challenged anyone to pick it out. No one could. I may give you a call about Big Walnut. I too have fished the area for about 35+ years as I grew up near Hamilton road.I generally take my canoe to haul my gear and get through deep water and wade to fish. I've never gone as far north as Broad. Livingston maybe. I have gone to the south pretty far. Generally do pretty well within a half mile either way of Hamilton Rd.

3. I'm up for wading the Big Walnut with you. I have been wanting to fish it for a while now. Let me know when a good time for you is and I will try to make it. I grew up on that side of town.

4. I wonder what things would be like today if cities had been required to put their wastewater plants upstream of their potable water intakes? I only fish/keep fish from Buckeye in winter and early spring, otherwise you may as well eat algae fish food pellets.

I doubt that our waterways will ever get any cleaner than they are now. They are much cleaner than they were 30 or 40 years ago, but it would take too much money and the general public has no real desire to change the way we live or to pay extra for controls and cleanup.

Water quality and diversity of organisms in each waterway is far more important a potential threat than folks taking a full stringer of fish or numbers of anglers. I always chuckle when a guy complains about poor fishing due to "so many people fishing", all the while standing in all the trash, tires, propane bottles and casting into water covered with brown foam and smelling of god-knows-what. I have always thought that fishing was an experience and not just how much could I catch that day. Just my 2 and a half cents... :eek:

5. I work on the south end, Frank rd, and get off at 5:00, you want to give it a shot one evening next week?

6. gonefishin'

I have always thought that fishing was an experience and not just how much could I catch that day. Just my 2 and a half cents... :eek:[/QUOTE]

I agree. That is one of the main reasons I fish the creek. If I catch no fish it always is peaceful and relaxing. I'm ready now, let's go!

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

You guys shouldnt be worried about eating fish out of waters that are only contaminated by trash and a little sewage overflow. Heat kills anything living in that meat. And as far as carcinagins, it takes a large buildup of these chemicals to cause adults much problems. Children and pregnant women should not eat them though. The only waterways around central ohio I would worry about is the scioto south of greenlawn dam. During the big growth years of our past large accumulations of these then non regulated chemicals build up in sediment. And your right, Freshwater Drum are SUPERB.

8. I love to fish but really don't care to eat them. About 20 years ago I had a chowder made of sheephead and thought it was good. Just my 2cents.......... Rich

9. hey ed, i fished the area you are talking about in the 50's and 60's, and Big Walnut was a small mouth heaven. in the spring up at morrison rd ,when it was farm land,the railroad bridge close to claycraft was good for suckers.I remember catching gar there too.every time i go into Cols . and Gahanna on 270 it brings back a lot of good memeories!!my dad and I hunted rabbits and pheasants at Broad and HAMILTON, it was a cornfield!there was pump station on big walnut that had carp like logs!!!Big Walnut south of Morse was a good smallie place too. bet the runoff from all the development has ruined all that??ahhh memories!! :rolleyes:

10. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

:D hey, gone fishin', i grew up by walnut creek. behind Leawood school. i used to use the freeway before they opened it to get to the (crick). went to sherwood and ridge. i've fished all of walnut creek when i was younger. if this is familiar, p.m. me. maybe we have something in common! :)

11. Tilesetter

Tilesetter GET THE NET

I have fished he park at Hamilton and 270. The main problem I had was not catching fish but the Gahanna cops busting gay people in the park doing what ever it is they do. UUUCK. When your out for a good fishing trip the last thing you need is some dude inviting you to the woods . I'll stab ya! I just came here to fish and this is the last time. SEEEEEE YAAAAA! :eek:

12. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

sorry if this politically incorrect, but i hate those homo's. i don't even understand how our women can be "peter-puffers", let alone a guy. call me homo-phobic...i don't care. :eek:

13. MLAROSA

MLAROSA Loving Life

I grew up fishing that part of Big Walnut. We would leave school and walk behind Madison Elementry and wade the creek up to Hamilton rd, or down to Noe Bixby. That is awsome small mouth waters, with a couple NICE ponds just outside of the banks if you know where to look.

14. gonefishin'

tilesetter, do you mean Helsel park? They busted a bunch of guys down there including the minister of Asbury church for exposing themselves and worse. That is the stretch of water I fish but I put in across the creek. It was Madison Twp. but I think now Columbus patrols it. I'm going by there tonight to check the creek out as I may hit it early in the morning. Some great fishing. If anybody is out that way flag me down and I'll give you the nickle tour. I'll be in a canoe or a kayak.

mlarosa, I know those ponds I think. They are behind the apts on Refugee rd.