close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Easy ways to catch crawdads?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fishman, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I'm tried and true in the ways of catching'em with my paws, but was actually trying to come up with a consistant source of obtaining a few dozen for bait, without having to spend a few hours looking looking like a moron flipping rocks :D

This evening I went out, spent 30 minutes - got two decent sized ones and missed about 50. The water was slow, the silt slow to settle, water was murky to bein with, and the crawdads were quick to swim off. I set two "traps".... cut 2 jugs about 5-6" deep moved all big rocks, scooped out as much of the small stuff as I could, then layed the rocks back down so it was like a pit on the bottom of the river. In the small 5" pits I placed a peice of snow goose summer sausage, haha, yes I know bad I idea what I had at my disposal on such short notice. Then I placed a few small rocks on the sausage and left them. I'm going to check them in the morning... what should I expect. A gar, turtle, racoon, or channel cat to have enjoyed the meal? Honestly I placed it in about 9" of water hoping to discourage the fish.

Tonight I've searched the internet for some quality means of catching consistant numbers of these buggers. Some of my favorite ways were as follows:

Those were some of the better ones. It sounds like they like bacon and I'm on the right path to something that works though.

So what do you guys do to get crawdads?

2. wader

wader Fishing Fool

If you can find them in an area with a fairly hard bottom, or at least free of large boulders, a minnow seine works great. My brother and I used to catch them in a slate bottomed creek with a seine. Its kind of a 2 man operation, but if you're in a good spot, a couple of passes is all it takes to catch a nice mess. Just make your seine about 5 feet wide, and run it upstream.

3. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Do you have a small hoop or butterfly net? It's always easier to get them from a distance opposed to walking right up to them.

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I did take a net with me today, and both I caught were in the net as them swam away from me. Looking for idea's on traps that I can set overnight really.

5. Is anyone having truoble finding any craws to catch? The creek I usually get them in was just full of craws in June but now they are few and far between. Were did they all go?

6. shu9265

shu9265 Charter Captian

We used to use boiled potatoes, cut into chunks placed in the traps overnight.

7. I think I'll order a couple of these myself. Always fun to catch some bait with the little kids.

8. a minnow trap with dry dog food in it will be full in the morning

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

No doubt man. The black coated traps that Walmart sells for $7 work great. Dog food, hotdogs, you name it.

10. I havnt been to my catch creek in a while now, last time was on the last peeling! Usually this creek is full of them , when u walk across the little bridge to go down to the water it looks like the bottom is moving! Of course its only about a mile off the main river in falmouth, ky! I thought about catching a bunch and fishing with some and freezing the rest, anyone ever froze crawdads? Wonder how that would turn out? Usually we only catch enough to fish a couple of days! Usually our choice of catching soft crawls is by hand, or if you just looking for hard crawls we use a 6 ft sein, about 2 swipes and we are good to go!

11. catking

catking Banned

I've also used a minnow trap with bait(dog food, dead bluegill etc) I also keep them in a styrofoam cooler in the shade of the house for weeks on end, and harvest the hard shell as they get soft. I've also kept huge shinners for weeks on end using the same method. In the shade , with a small ariator ,and once the shinners become climated to the warmer water, you can use them all year without them dying from shock of cold,baitshop waters to warm lake waters.THE CATKING !!! :)

12. Used to get them easily with 2 guys in Rocky River up here in the north...one guy with the seine walks upstream, into the current...second guys walks down stream towards the first guy kicking up rocks along the way...crayfish get stuck in between the two guys and normally end up in the net...don't start too far from each other.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I managed a couple dozen once I found a good spot. Shiner on the end of a stick actually worked... was crazy to see work honestly.