Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all, this is my first attempt at a tutorial. I came up with this idea and it works well for me. I tend to like my bluegill baits with no scales on top so this method saves me time.
Please don't reply until I say I'm done!
First I made the bait holder from a CD spindle with the foam rings glued together to keep from marring the lure.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have some heavy scale material which I really like, I think I got it on ebay. I have placed it, kinda loosely, in an oval sewing frame.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I then use a large tooth shower comb for the vertical lines.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what it looks like when you pull the comb and mesh away.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I have done a little blending and painted the top of the bait.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and here is the final product with the ear and eys stuck on. Sorry for the bad photos, I sold all my good camera equipment to pay bills a couple years ago and used an iPod for this. I hope this helps and would be glad to answer questions and hear feedback. Oh...the ear. I use an exacto knife and cut 1/4" black vinyl dots in half. I use them whole for shad dots.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never thought of the comb idea. Thanks for sharing !
I stole that from the Dakota Lakes tutorials on Youtube.

The mesh idea is my own...I hate wrapping baits, takes too much time and this way I can make the mesh line up nicely...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You can also space the stripes further apart by masking off every other space with a small strip of masking tape and you can mask off the area where the gills are so you get no overspray on the gills or head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.