Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with Jonzun last night at Eastwood Lake and boy am I sure happy I did. I've been biting at the bite to get to do some fishing from a boat and Dave was more than welcoming.

We met up around 9:30 and were fishing by 10p.m not much of anything for about an hour but we had great conversation talking about our military careers, fishing stories, and just life in general. I learned a few tricks of the trade from him and I was happy just being out on the water.

By around 11:30 I hooked into my first fish and for the next hour or so we both caught about 6 fish between us both with the biggest being a nice smallie I hooked up with we estimated around 15-16in.

Overall, a great experience and Dave was a great guy. I wanted to personally thank him for the trip out and hopefully we can do a lot more of the same in the near future. I highly recommend for you all to try and meet some of the guys on here because it can make for a pretty good time.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Jpost, I got your PM Sunday night saying you were busy about 30 minutes after I had invited FishingAdict and his GF to Eastwood for some catfishing yesterday morning. They caught 4-5 channels and missed a few and I think had a good time in my boat. Perhaps next time we can use some of those bass you catch for bait and catch some real fish...LOL ( Just kidding folks) Im hoping to get up to CJ Brown later this week or early next week to prefish for a tourney, if my partner cant go Ill give you a shout

Salmonid
PS Nice report and some nice fish there!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does Eastwood Lake have a healthy smallmouth population? I can understand the Mad River flooding and pouring in a few smallies, but it seems like they're in there by the handful! I've always hooked into largemouths, cats, crappie, gills, and carp, but never a smallie. Great looking fish, btw!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jpost, I got your PM Sunday night saying you were busy about 30 minutes after I had invited FishingAdict and his GF to Eastwood for some catfishing yesterday morning. They caught 4-5 channels and missed a few and I think had a good time in my boat. Perhaps next time we can use some of those bass you catch for bait and catch some real fish...LOL ( Just kidding folks) Im hoping to get up to CJ Brown later this week or early next week to prefish for a tourney, if my partner cant go Ill give you a shout

Salmonid
Sounds like your trip out was just as successful as ours. Glad everything worked out and others we able to get out with you. I love my bass fishing but if my schedule allows I'd definitely head out with you later this week. I look a forward to hearing from you.

Does Eastwood Lake have a healthy smallmouth population? I can understand the Mad River flooding and pouring in a few smallies, but it seems like they're in there by the handful! I've always hooked into largemouths, cats, crappie, gills, and carp, but never a smallie. Great looking fish, btw!
I honestly can't say. Out of all the fish we caught this was the only smallmouth but I have heard others catch them out of here too. This was my first time fishing this lake in years and it's definitely worth going back too.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
first, nice report jpost, and a nice bass too!

machujanga...yes there are a fair amount of smallies in eastwood, ya gotta work the weedbeds with soft plastics( tubes work great)...you don't really need a boat to do this either, just walk the banks and cast about 30 yards or so straight out from the bank,,you'll get some weeds on the hook at times but not too bad

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first, nice report jpost, and a nice bass too!

machujanga...yes there are a fair amount of smallies in eastwood, ya gotta work the weedbeds with soft plastics( tubes work great)...you don't really need a boat to do this either, just walk the banks and cast about 30 yards or so straight out from the bank,,you'll get some weeds on the hook at times but not too bad
Thank you! And I think your pretty spot on with description of how to fish it

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Eastwood seems to be a meet-up place for OGFers lately! I met 9left there Sunday evening, fishing the Mad.
gulfvet it was nice meeting you there on the river the other night, hope to run into you again sometime, and thankyou for your service!

·
Registered
123 Posts

Salmonid

Salmonid is awesome!!!! We had a great time with him at Eastwood! We learned so much and are ready to go out and see how we can do with our kayaks :) Ordered some catfishin' supplies and are ready to try out Kiser Lake, probably next Saturday. We would go again in a heartbeat!!! Let us know if you ever need some fishing company! Great to meet you and hope you had a great time, too! Thanks again! -FishingAddict

1 - 9 of 9 Posts