Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the mad to see way more water than expected. Threw for about 30 mins. with nothing to show and decided to go to eastwood and wait on smallies till river tamed some. Good decision. Really good. Got to my fav spot and put on my newly fav lure. Threw once and had wind take half my line out before lure hit water. FUN. Changed my tactics a little and got a perfect cast perfect quiet entry and all.

Now I've been told that fish love to bite on the fall of certain lures better but had never gotten a bite in such situations. Until tonight! Like usual, after casting and waiting for it to fall, I watch my line and watch for the tell tale signs of a landing. Waiting, waiting, waiting, nothing. Go to work the finesse lure and my pole bends over but dedinately did not feel like a fishie. Started to grumble actually since I though it was a giant clump of weeds like this lake is so good at producing and began wrenching it in.

Next thing I know I get a run on drag which was barely loosened but this thing tore at it. I'm thinking to myself about now, "holy crap" this is a whale. Trying to adjust my drag while trying to wrangle this thing in was interesting for sure.(not too good with drag as I'm an amateur and not sure how to keep it set) worked it for a good 3 or 4 mins. And then the unimaginable happens. This things tangles up in the weeds to the point of no action left in the line and being tight. Wade out to untangle it expecting the fish to have pulled a fast one on me and hang my rod tip vertical of the snag. Give it a good little tug and WHAM, it takes of again.

Reel it in while half running backward to the bank thinking don't unbutton please! Get it to shore and let out a big whoop which I'm sure got some looks in my direction. But I didn't care this thing was fat. Measured out at 19 1/2" and I'm guessing a little over 4#'s(my scale is broken as reasoned by it saying it was one #) My new lmb PB. Didn't get anything else and got good an soaked but well worth every bit of effort.

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Great looking fish Mangler. Sounds like a nerve racking battle. Congrats on landing it and the PB.

So are you going to tell us what your new favorite lure is?

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great looking fish Mangler. Sounds like a nerve racking battle. Congrats on landing it and the PB.

So are you going to tell us what your new favorite lure is?
Well I will say that I Texas weedless more than anything and my old go to was berkley havoc bottom hoppers. When not using those id use a 6" yama senko in darker colors. Here lately thought I've been tossin yum 4" senkos and have gotten my pb smb and lmb on it in the past couple weeks. Hence new favorite. Lol

·
Im Old Gregg!
1,281 Posts
Well I will say that I Texas weedless more than anything and my old go to was berkley havoc bottom hoppers. When not using those id use a 6" yama senko in darker colors. Here lately thought I've been tossin yum 4" senkos and have gotten my pb smb and lmb on it in the past couple weeks. Hence new favorite. Lol

ok so tell me, do you think that the Yamamoto senkos get better results then the YUM? i use the Yamamoto senkos a TON but while i was getting a fresh supply today i noticed the YUM senkos. they look and feel the same but the YUM senkos are lke $3 cheaper per package PLUS you get 5 more per package.

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so tell me, do you think that the Yamamoto senkos get better results then the YUM? i use the Yamamoto senkos a TON but while i was getting a fresh supply today i noticed the YUM senkos. they look and feel the same but the YUM senkos are lke $3 cheaper per package PLUS you get 5 more per package.
I pretty much got them for the exact reason you just said. Cheap. I will say that I've gotten about ten catches and a few lost bites and still have 7/10 of the yums. Same numbers on the yamas and I'd be close to crackin a new pack. The yums seem to be a lot tougher material. Loved the yamas because I always believe the super softness of em made the fish bite longer being more natural like. But your lucky to get 2 catches before re baiting. I'm always pulling em in with the worm missing with fish on.

Yums seem to like to slide up the line and seem to easily go back into place without tearing up. Plus they have a nifty little slot for the hook end that makes the worm easier to align straight with the ewg hook.Just my opinion anyways. Not trying to sound like a yum commercial or anything. Definitely not gonna stop using yamas though. Way too productive for me!

·
bass-o-matic
246 Posts
I pretty much got them for the exact reason you just said. Cheap. I will say that I've gotten about ten catches and a few lost bites and still have 7/10 of the yums. Same numbers on the yamas and I'd be close to crackin a new pack. The yums seem to be a lot tougher material. Loved the yamas because I always believe the super softness of em made the fish bite longer being more natural like. But your lucky to get 2 catches before re baiting. I'm always pulling em in with the worm missing with fish on.

Yums seem to like to slide up the line and seem to easily go back into place without tearing up. Plus they have a nifty little slot for the hook end that makes the worm easier to align straight with the ewg hook.Just my opinion anyways. Not trying to sound like a yum commercial or anything. Definitely not gonna stop using yamas though. Way too productive for me!

I use the Strike King Shim-e sticks. I prefer them over the Senkos and they are half the price - $2.96 pack at Walmart. They last longer than the Senkos and I've had at least as much success, if not more. Not too many color choices at Walmart, but I typically use the green pumpkin almost all the time anyway, so no big deal for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.