Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the ODNR fishing report for August 5th and saw that white bass are supposed to be hitting off of the Eastlake CEI wall. I was thinking of heading up there but have never been so I don't know what to expect. Is it something you can walk out on, is there parking close, are white bass from erie safe to eat, and can you get smallies there too? Any info would be greatly appreciated and I will post a report when I return. THANKS!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I never eat em, but my buddy told me if when you cut the skin off you take an eighth inch of meat off with it they're good. I guess the meat right under the skin is kinda rank.

·
593 Posts
Smitty,

Take S.R. 91 north from either Rt 2 or I 90 til it ends, turn right. Go 1/4 - 1/2 mile, pass under railroad bridge and turn left at the light. Go til that ends into the parking lot which is at the wall. There is a fee to park for fishing but I don't know how much (maybe $3.00?). If there is a strong breeze out of the north you might see some of this. That's where it was taken.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up only fishing for about an hour. I caught one small white bass, probably about 7" or so on a small white curly tail jig. I only saw a few others caught. I did see some fishing pushing bait up to the surface and birds diving which was kind of cool, reminded me of being back on the salt in California. I would have stayed a little longer but it was a little crowded for my liking. Thanks again for the info.

·
~~~~~~~~~
501 Posts
The program for white bass is an "agitator" with a 2-3' leader and a minnow at the end. Then you cast, reel,reel, jerk,jerk,reel and wham! Just about any pier, breakwall , lakeside marina or inlet holds white bass. An agitator is a white bell shaped float with a red flat bottom, the flat side points towards you. I used to catch tons of them at E.55th st. marina long ago. That was before they built the apts........ and before I knew how good walleye tastes:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The program for white bass is an "agitator" with a 2-3' leader and a minnow at the end. Then you cast, reel,reel, jerk,jerk,reel and wham! Just about any pier, breakwall , lakeside marina or inlet holds white bass. An agitator is a white bell shaped float with a red flat bottom, the flat side points towards you. I used to catch tons of them at E.55th st. marina long ago. That was before they built the apts........ and before I knew how good walleye tastes:)
dont bother using minnows, my favorite lure for white bass is a wiggle spoon but twister tails work well too.

·
Registered
577 Posts
They charge you 4 dollars if you are not a Eastlake Resident. Residents fish for free, but ive been there the past couple days and the action is definitely not as good as the recent years. It usually turn on around 8 pm, the fish have mostly been small though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts