Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This adventure was more of a sea worthiness trial due to the heavy building and breaking seas. Bayliner has a bad rep but I tell ya my "new to me" 1989 2160 with a newly tuned up 5.0 OMC handled beatifully. Even the autopilot was cooperative with two bags out trolling parallel with the 4-6 foot rollers and slop, keeping the troll about 2.4 ish. Hardtop was priceless for the run out and in. Hadn't taken her out in big seas yet and was very happy.

Fishing was super slow. Started in 69 fow with spoons off riggers at 60 and 50 foot, spoons off dipsies set at 3 and out 100/75 and a deep ripper as a stinger rod. Trolled the 69-67 fow range easterly with the waves, nada and no marks and very scattered bait holding tight to the bottom...turned and trolled towards the stacks, marked scattered bait at 40 foot as we got into the 62 foot range and pulled the riggers up to 40/35. Weird troll as the lines were running about 35 degrees angled away from the transom but seemed to be pulling OK.

Just the six footers are starting to break and we're pulling lines for the day a steelie wacks the 35 rigger rod and disposes of us with one run. About 59 fow. Ain't that some luck after braving the elements for 2 1/2 hours?

Anyone have a bead on the eyes off Eastlake? I seem to have lost contact with 'em.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Last I heard, two days ago, was about 72 fow, close to 15 miles out. Could be like last year, only sooner.

Gordof

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gordof. I'll be at it again this weekend and take a look see out yonder.

I thought the eyes might have moved back to the 40-55 fow range with all the wind and rains. No such luck. Gotta burn gas to get 'er done I suppose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts