close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eastfork stripers

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Stampede, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Early in the morning,crack of dawn the stripers start jumping,chaseing minnows.What lures would you throw at them?

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

rattle traps, zara spooks, topwater baits...about anything I could. I wonder if senkos would work?

3. Throw 1/16 jig heads with white twister tails, small rapala minnows, rocket shads, cicadas (blade baits) to catch the smaller stuff. They will be small (12-15 in) but you will get numbers. For the bigger ones, throw a jigging spoon or rattle trap a couple of feet below the fury, and you will get the bigger ones. Not as many, but they will be bigger.

4. If they are chasing the shad all the way to the surface then I'd go with a white buzzbait for sure. May not catch as many fish but just getting one to explode on a buzzer on the surface is good enough for me. Work the buzzbait at different retrieve speeds to find what the fish like that day and use a bait with bigger blades so you can slow the bait down while keeping it up on the surface. A trailer hook is probably a good idea too. If they won't hit the topwater bait then my next option would be a silver/chrome cleo spoon.
    The only place I've fished for stripers is Cumberland so I prefer buzzbaits and spoons for their weight which allows me to cast to the active fish without chasing them around too much.

Steve

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Is there actually pure Stripers in East Fork or Hybrid Striped bass?

I just moved to SW Ohio... so I don't actually know.....

6. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

7. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I was fishing up by the tower,to the right of the afton ramp all nite for cats and have done this before.A little before dawn and up to dawn something really gets jumping.The best i can see.it looks like stripers.It's not a frenzy but a lot of jumping.I've thrown rattle traps,crank baits,big white rooster tail,any thing that looks like a minnow with no luck.Can't figure it out.