close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eastfork shad

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Stampede, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I need to get clear on the shad.I heard that you can't keep them alive in your live well and they are only good for cut bait.Is that right?I know you can catch them with a cast net,but will they go into a minnow trap and if they will what to bait the trap with.The wire mesh type?I've seen guys at eastfork pulling out of the water with cast nets and big live wells in there boats,what are they catching?

2. Just get a bunch of them and freeze them for cut bait.I was out there sunday in my boat.If you go up the creek beside the campers beach there are so many of them.I saw some stripers busting through them I tried to pull my bait through them for a striper but just got shad on the hook.Did pretty good though.Caught about 15 stripers.

3. We catch ours at a little marina on the ohio. We keep them alive by putting a little aquarium salt and shad saver in the water. (along w/ a pump) If you have to pick one up make sure your hands are wet to protect their scales. You can keep them alive just don't put to many in your tank.

4. minnow trap wont work shad need to move to stay alive u can use them whole or cut both have there time and place u will most likly find cut shad will out do live for smaller cats u can keep them in a reg live well for about 3 hours if u dont put to many in the scales and wast are the worst enamey scalescut ther gills like razers use salt with no iodine u can get a 2 year bag at the feed mill for about 8 dollers it helps put a good slime coat on them and lock the scales down if u dont want the trouble of keeping the alive just buy a bag of ice net your shad put them in your live well with no water then ice them down hope this helps u might have seen me lol big bait tank and all

5. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

How big are they.I'm planning on using them for cut bait.I was wondering if they would go into a minnow trap.I have a buddy who will let me use one and might save buying a $25 to $30 net.Do you think they will go in one and what would you use to bait them?

6. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Stampede,

Shad are algae and plankton eaters, Gizzard Shad feed mainly on the bottom of mud lakes gleaning the goo, Threadfin will be suspended I don't think you would get them to go into a minnow trap, the easy way to get them is with a cast net. I watch for the bubbles rising from the lake bottom or the telltale signs of them flipping on the surface, also watch for the gulls and Cormants diving on them.

When the water cools down you can keep them in a livewell, just make sure it has rounded corners if not they will get in there and swim till they die, during the winter months I don't take my baittank with me I just toss them in the front livewell and they do very well in it, cold water holds more oxygen than warm water and the cold water will slow there metabolism down.............Doc

7. right now with all the shad a small net will work they ar 1inch to 6 inch i was on the lake tuesday where the lake narrowes down in the middle going to the dam there is a bay to the left there wher alot of 6 inch shad in there i will be there getting bait or fishing saterday if u want to meet up with me there ill show u what to look for and how to throw your net or catch a few for u and let u c how they work