Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
day late, dollar short
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that in the upcoming days we'll be facing several days of either east or southeast winds. The old rhyme comes to mind "wind from the east fish bite least." Was wondering if people find that this is the case. I will be putting it to the test this weekend.

·
694 Posts
With all these fronts swirling thru this last weekend, a lot of the time the wind was from the East, and blowing hard... we still caught a nice number of bass, up to 21 1/4", it was hard casting (and staying warm and dry), but they were CRUSHING spinnerbaits ripped under/at the surface... I go when I can and don't worry about wind direction... good luck, they got their feed bag on!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
nope!!! they still have to eat no matter which dirrection the wind blows. alter the side of structure you fishing, thats all

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I've done pretty good in east,northeast,southeast winds.Most of the time it's better than out of the south or west.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Sorry guys you are wrong EAST WIND ESPECIALLY IN FALL TO ICE UP IS WORTHLESS!!!! ALL WIND IS TERRIBLE STAY HOME!!!:p I will keep testing it out for you though just to make sure!!! East wind late last night eyes and crappies were both real busy!!!! Always as said remember some wind is your friend but guys who fished crappie tourney saturday might think it was just a tad to windy!!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
that east wind theory probably came from 2 old timers sitting at a bar drinking insted of fishing and they went home and told there wives they didnt catch anything because the wind was out of the east. by far the best day i have ever had at buckeye from any wind was an east wind with white caps blowing down the lake and raining and i was trolling the tow path east and west about 75 yards off sellars point and i caught well over 50 saugeye in a little over 3 hours with numerous doubles. it didnt matter what color you had they were hungry. there was a guy sitting on the point watching me and was not catching anything so i motored over and asked him if he wanted to fish with me and it took him about 2 seconds to get in my boat. 20 minutes later he had his 6 saugeye and was smiling ear to ear. go for it and good luck.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think a lot of depends on the species you are targeting. I have found Saugeyes & Pike love the nastiest weather mother nature can drum up! :D

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
It really depends on the time of year. In the fall when fish are in transition it can make it tough but then again I have caught a lot of fish in the wind over the years.
Killingtime - I was reading your story below and that was awesome thing for you to do with the guy fishing on the bank. You had to make his day.

I will be out tomorrow either at Buckeye or Delaware - Still haven't made my mind up yet. Was going to Buckeye but there final Crappie Classic is tomorrow and you had to fish in I think 3 of there tournaments in order to fish it. So I met head to Delaware and try to figure those fish out.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
im sure not going to sit at home wishing i was fishing because of the wind direction. i dont fish near as much as i use to. but i figure anytime you get a chance to go fishing will be a good wind,LOL. some of my best fishing has been a east wind.

i won 1 of my best crappie tournaments in a east wind. we were drifting across the lake. and about the last 100 feet from shore we caught fish. so we just started pulling out about 150 feet and start another drift. that east wind won that one for us.

as long as the winds not to hard i dont care where its coming from if im catching fish. good luck and good winds,LOL.
sherman

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am usually very skeptical but what surprises me with this proverb is that we have exactly the same one back home in Poland. Also, the fishing yesterday was no good, even though otherwise it was a perfect day, with eastern wind.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It really depends on the time of year. In the fall when fish are in transition it can make it tough but then again I have caught a lot of fish in the wind over the years.
Killingtime - I was reading your story below and that was awesome thing for you to do with the guy fishing on the bank. You had to make his day.

I will be out tomorrow either at Buckeye or Delaware - Still haven't made my mind up yet. Was going to Buckeye but there final Crappie Classic is tomorrow and you had to fish in I think 3 of there tournaments in order to fish it. So I met head to Delaware and try to figure those fish out.
it was fun taking somebody that really appreciates things like that. the guy was a sheet metal worker and had been out of work for awhile and he scraped up enough money for fishing license and minnows because he was tired of sitting at home. you just never know when you will make somebodys day by asking them to join if you dont ask. besides i just wanted to share that awesome bite with someone while it lasted.

·
716 Posts
Set up at 1PM today out of Huron with wind WSW pulled 5 hog eyes in 40 min. The wind switched E picked only 5 more smaller ones the next 3 hours!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I don't love an east wind, but I would gladly take some east wind over calm, bright sun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts