Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first, it would be in middle of week. I believe its 32 for a campsite and last, the place you mentioned is kind of ran down (unless they made changes in the last few years)

·
Registered
296 Posts
first, it would be in middle of week. I believe its 32 for a campsite and last, the place you mentioned is kind of ran down (unless they made changes in the last few years)
I 've launched my boat at tibbles many times never had a problem .smaller boat so I didnt have to concern myself with what was happening on the lake

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Mazurik is just down the road and short boat ride to East Harbor if you don't want to pay the fee. If your boat is small enough you can cut through the first channel to west of Mazurik and slide under the bridge to get in the bay. That will cut the open water running down.
Only problem is if the water is up it's almost impossible to get under it. Even when I had my small bass tracker I could hardly squeeze it. Tore up a cowling thinking I could make it under once

·
Registered
505 Posts
Only problem is if the water is up it's almost impossible to get under it. Even when I had my small bass tracker I could hardly squeeze it. Tore up a cowling thinking I could make it under once
Agree with everything you said there. Last time I went under it was when I had my Bass Tracker 175. Water levels have come up some since that time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I tried again yesterday. Been checking windsurf, windfinder, weather channel accuweather and Ohiowx. NE wind 2-3 mph no gusts, pull into tibbles at 630am open my door....BRR!!! Every flag and every windsock sticking straight out. pull out my phone marblehead and lakeside shows no wind! Payed my 15.00 go to ramp, obviously no ramp fees go towards upkeep. Put boat in go to park trailer and the couple hundred pounds of weeds I removed for them. head towards channel, not that many boats and she is a rocking. what boats are there are slamming waves. turn around head back to the harbor ....didn't take long with current to get back....ck phone 3 reports that wind is 2-3 mph! tried in harbor for about an hour watching everyone pulling weeds from equipment and trolling motors, loaded boat and another couple hundred pounds of weeds went and put in at dempseys. Caught 6 bass , lost about a 4 lbs on a crankbait. all in all good day! I guess I just dont understand wind patterns up there and how all of the sites can be that far off. teach me something 😉

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are using the same apps that I would use to plan a day of fishing. Sometimes Mother Nature and Lake Erie just say..."Not today my friend!" Only other advice I could give you would be to buy a bigger boat...LOL! That is a frustrating part of trying to fish the big pond, but glad to see you shifted plans and were able to have some fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ll say it’s been a strange year for wind on Erie, they’ll call south winds all day then come late afternoon it starts to kick up out of NE. Seen this many times this summer. What you’re doing is all good. I fish out of central lake so I used the live Cleveland crib cam to confirm wind too. Try to find a live web cam to help with going. I realize it doesn’t help if you’re already out there and it kicks up on you. There’s a NOAA buoy off Vermillion that can give you hourly data too.
Good luck
Frickster

·
Set The Hook`
4,218 Posts
I launch at EHSP year around for free.....never had to pay anything?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts