Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone given it a try lately? I was just wondering how the bite was for bluegill and perch befor I drive 2 house up there to fish Friday morning. Also how bad are the weeds?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really kinda just looking to fish the harbor I have an 18ft bass boat but not really sure if I'm comfortable going to far out into the main lake and I dont really know where all of these areas are like D can or B can for example. I would like to venture out there sometime but I want to upgrade some stuff on my boat first befor I do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll be honest- ive never done well there after july 1 for panfish. I think the fish scatter out over the whole harbor. I'm no pro, but my suggestion would be to keep moving don't stay in one place too long if ur not getting fish.

Theres another fella posting in NW Ohio reports about his panfishing success (on inland lakes) recently, he seems to be fishing the last 1-2 hours of daylight. In east harbor, thats a problem because Tibbles marina makes you return by 8. Can't launch at the state park unless you are camping, and I personnally have never made the run from Mazurik to the harbor, its not long but I wouldn't want to do it in the dark.

If you can get out at first light (Tibbles opens at 6 I beleive) and fish the first 2 hours of light that might be the best option.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Weeds are the reason that place produces! No spray just a use a rake or a machine to make a channel ! The state screwed it up a while back
DNR at Lake Guntersville several years back sprayed and ruin the bass fishing. Now they use a combiner. do some designated area for boaters and fisherman. lake back again and doing well

·
Registered
413 Posts
Deer Hunter 1,
I have fished east harbor twice in the last 3 weeks. 53 really nice bluegill (3.5 pounds after we filleted them). only
fished for 2 hours! the other time got 26 perch in 8 fow! got 8 jumbos! redworms and goldies didn't matter. hope this helps
What part of yhe harbor did you find the prrch

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll be honest- ive never done well there after july 1 for panfish. I think the fish scatter out over the whole harbor. I'm no pro, but my suggestion would be to keep moving don't stay in one place too long if ur not getting fish.

Theres another fella posting in NW Ohio reports about his panfishing success (on inland lakes) recently, he seems to be fishing the last 1-2 hours of daylight. In east harbor, thats a problem because Tibbles marina makes you return by 8. Can't launch at the state park unless you are camping, and I personnally have never made the run from Mazurik to the harbor, its not long but I wouldn't want to do it in the dark.

If you can get out at first light (Tibbles opens at 6 I beleive) and fish the first 2 hours of light that might be the best option.
I launched at East Harbor State Park ramp back in May with no problems even though we we not camping.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never had a problem, just had to pay $25 camping fee to launch!

If by no problems you mean free, I have in the past had no problems but only before any staff was there "for the summer season".

If you didn't have to pay its because staff wasn't around or overlooked launching because of the covid

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never had a problem, just had to pay $25 camping fee to launch!

If by no problems you mean free, I have in the past had no problems but only before any staff was there "for the summer season".

If you didn't have to pay its because staff wasn't around or overlooked launching because of the covid
nope - just waved us thru. Had the same experience last August

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you read the rules for the campground, it indicates you can launch for free before May and after September. They are supposed to charge between May and September for a campsite. With a Golden Buckeye card, camping fees during the week are 50% off. Add the fact that there is a fish cleaning station by the ramp where you can clean and dispose of guts it makes it worthwhile even if you have to pay

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So just an update me and a friend of mine did fish it Friday from 730 till around 1230. We did pretty decent on catching a good number of perch and gills just not much for size but all in all it was better than being at work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys,
Need some help. Would love to take my grand kids fishing for pan fish in east harbor. Have a boat at Foxhaven. Never fished the harbor. Where should I go in East Harbor? How deep water? Use a bobber? How deep should I set it? Fish for walleye and perch on the big lake but they are too young for that. Short attention span.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts