Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
677 Posts
Haven't been out this week but last few weeks lake looked a lot better and not seeing much of the algae like I was previously. I havent been crappie fishing so can't speak to that. Just try to get the boat out for a couple hours 1-2 times a week after the kids go to bed and fish for hybrids normally. I think they have a big rowing event this weekend as well just FYI. Good luck if you head out.

· Registered
6,109 Posts
Saugeye bite well along the beach on south side
In general-- What size are the larger fish ? and are you able to pick up good numbers ?
I've caught a few below the spillway but not in good numbers and still mostly in the 16 - 17 inch range.
Good luck and good fishing !

· Registered
144 Posts
In general-- What size are the larger fish ? and are you able to pick up good numbers ?
I've caught a few below the spillway but not in good numbers and still mostly in the 16 - 17 inch range.
16" -20" west end of beach - use silver / gray minnow , such as the gulp on a very light jig head. throw close to buoys and let sink to bottom . Patience will pay off using this method.

· Registered
144 Posts
If I can get an overcast day next week with highs in the 80's, I'll give EF a shot and try for some saugs and post a report. Next Friday looks pretty good with the high only being 79. Might try then.
Believe it or not, a friend of mine wades out to near the edge of swim area on the hottest sunniest days this summer and catches decent Saugeye in the middle of the day. I was surprised !

· Registered
6,109 Posts
a friend of mine wades out to near the edge of swim area
I'm planning on trying that area this fall at night.
The fall fish are surprisingly shallow and that area also has a good reputation for hybrids.

· Registered
5,279 Posts
Seafood Fish Gesture Tableware Ray-finned fish

I think it's just going to be a matter of time before patterns start to develop and people get tuned into what's working and what's not. I've been thinking of a few areas that should hold fish and had to at least try.
Spent 30 minutes casting a crankbait this morning and came up with this one...20.5"

· Registered
5,279 Posts
Well work got in my way of fishing East Fork this weekend, I will try this week when this work stuff is over
You probably didn't miss much, we had 3 1/2" of rain Saturday morning and the lake is rising. The lakes went up a foot this morning just in the few hours I fished.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I today was a beautiful day to be on the water. I launched my new boat from the campgrounds at around 8:00am, I didnt expect much of a crappie bite for mid August but it turned into a decent day. this was the 1st day I could concentrate on using the Panoptix and it made all the difference, and I helped me confirm something I thought was true. I caught alll my fish off of 3 spots 15-20 males 8-10ft in 12-15fow off of laydowns and brush. What I discovered is that they would only tap a jig tipped with a minnow, but would devour a jig tipped with a Berkeley's crappie nibble, the Panoptix confirmed my beliefs. most fish were in the 9-10" range but had a few 11" slabs to boot. All and all a good day. Obtw I found out they caught the crack head that was stealing catalytic convertors, the Dnr step up cameras along with boars head, good job fellas

· Registered
454 Posts
Glad to hear they caught that crook. Went fishing last weekend and attempted for saugeyes, caught none. The crappie, shad and catfish were stacked up thick just outside the beach on the southern end of the lake. Lots of people on them too along with the cormorants. I managed to catch a few catfish and crappie. No one was catching saugeyes when I was there. The saugs at EF are elusive.

· Registered
144 Posts
Glad to hear they caught that crook. Went fishing last weekend and attempted for saugeyes, caught none. The crappie, shad and catfish were stacked up thick just outside the beach on the southern end of the lake. Lots of people on them too along with the cormorants. I managed to catch a few catfish and crappie. No one was catching saugeyes when I was there. The saugs at EF are elusive.
I agree - and for the numbers they have been stocking one would think they would be easier to track down.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts