Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
View attachment 473440

I took this pic last week at the Tate Ramp.
Now the lake doesn’t always look like this, it depends on which way the wind is blowing as to what you see sometimes. Mostly the water looks like pea soup.
C-dude....photo is very similar to bloom areas at GLSM this year for about 4 weeks starting first week of July. Like you say, very much dependent on wind direction. Mostly gone now.

GLSM is normally pea soup every summer. It's not as bad this year as most, and held good clarity deeper into the summer. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
C-dude....photo is very similar to bloom areas at GLSM this year for about 4 weeks starting first week of July. Like you say, very much dependent on wind direction. Mostly gone now.

GLSM is normally pea soup every summer. It's not as bad this year as most, and held good clarity deeper into the summer. Unfortunate.
I've heard from of few people that the lake is starting to look better. I've also heard the fishing is pretty slow. I have been tied up in moving (buying/selling) for the last month so I haven't had any time to see what the fish are actually doing. Normally summer fishing is good at all the SW Ohio lakes, it's usually a numbers game. I just like feeling the tap and setting the hook so I don't care much about size. Odds are it's going to be tough to get bigger fish but you can get plenty of fish up to 10 1/2" if you look for them.
Hopefully I'll have a lot more time after this week is over and can go look for myself.

Most lakes around here you can find good number of fish in 12-15 fow. Caeser's Creek is a little different in that the fish seem to favor deeper water so I'd start the search in 15-25 fow.

Last few times I shore fished my bank spots the were pretty dead. It won't be long until the water starts to cool and the fish move shallow again.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've heard from of few people that the lake is starting to look better. I've also heard the fishing is pretty slow. I have been tied up in moving (buying/selling) for the last month so I haven't had any time to see what the fish are actually doing. Normally summer fishing is good at all the SW Ohio lakes, it's usually a numbers game. I just like feeling the tap and setting the hook so I don't care much about size. Odds are it's going to be tough to get bigger fish but you can get plenty of fish up to 10 1/2" if you look for them.
Hopefully I'll have a lot more time after this week is over and can go look for myself.

Most lakes around here you can find good number of fish in 12-15 fow. Caeser's Creek is a little different in that the fish seem to favor deeper water so I'd start the search in 15-25 fow.

Last few times I shore fished my bank spots the were pretty dead. It won't be long until the water starts to cool and the fish move shallow again.
I share same passion for that tap and hook set. Just biding time for those cooler water temps around the corner. Fish for 30-60 minutes when I need a break.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Okay who put the white perch in East Fork?
Fin Fish Seafood Fish products Tail

We caught 5 or 6 of them today. These were the 1st ones I've ever seen there and I've fished it since it was impounded back in the 70's.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
These were the 1st ones I've ever seen there
I started a thread a year or two ago about E-frk W-perch. We caught a few below the spillway and a few above the lake, I wondered where they came from also and I remember "House" stating he had caught a few decent ones trolling on the main lake.
No one every came up with a answer on how they got there ?????
Good luck and good fishing

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good to see a fish pic from EF. What kind of shape is it in ? May drive down one day next week. Been busy bush-hogging & working here at home and on the farm. Haven't been out since last month & that was bass (green/brown carp) fishing on the river. LOL

I'm more than ready for Fall fishing.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
What kind of shape is it in ?
It's not looking to bad. I fished Tuesday and had my worst day I've had all year. I knew where some fish stacked up but not much size to them so I just went looking. Most spots held nothing or just 1 or 2 fish, all small.
Now yesterday was a different story. We went back to some more traditional water (for us) and we were on fish all day. Again size was smaller but we did have a few okay size. I don't plan on keeping anything until the weather cools off a lot more so I don't care about size, I just want to set the hook.
I only use jigs so who knows if minnows would do any better.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We caught a few of them this spring. I heard they actually taste pretty good, but haven't yet tried them.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I most have missed it or I was so traumatized I erased it from my mind.
:D
This is the thread if anyone is interested, not much info and it's older than I thought.
Maybe someone will know how they got in there.
East- Fork White perch ?
Good luck and good fishing

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Hooked one of those the other day and got it by the boat on 6lb line after about a half hour fight. My buddy went to lip him and the jig popped out right by him lucky it didn't hit him in the face:)
That's exactly why I put a net in the boat. I run enough hooks in my hand to make me cautious. It's rare I lip fish anymore.

Water Shorts Sky Boat Lake

I thought I had one of these smallmouth buffalo. These are the reason I went to carrying a net. I catch 5 or 6 of these every year.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
We caught a buffalo carp close to 50lbs earlier this summer and bent the net in half. HA!
I can imagine. That catfish didn't fit in my net at all. My friend got his head in the net and I grabbed it's tail.
Always a good time time getting these bonus fish.
Good luck with your deer hunting this year, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss those early mornings in the tree stand with the sun coming up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, love the bonus fish even when they are big cats. Looking forward to this cooler weather and trying for a big buck. My brother is in South Carolina for the crappie National Championship so it is fun getting updates from him daily. Hopefully they do well tomorrow and Saturday. Hope to see you on the lake again soon.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts