Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Pretty sad this is a yearly occurrence for a public resource. I was there end of May and the water looked bad.

·
The one others want to be
2,243 Posts
It will continue to be bad unless something is done to reduce/eliminate the nutrients (pollutants) into the watershed. But since that would impact people's lives and business it will never happen. Too bad: Harsha is a pretty lake.

You know it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
A few months ago on the radio I heard about some project that is supposed to help with the runoff problem. Since this thread came up I was curious to see if I could find some info on it. When I initially heard about it I thought it was on a larger scale already but that isn't the case. Here is a quick write up on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A few months ago on the radio I heard about some project that is supposed to help with the runoff problem. Since this thread came up I was curious to see if I could find some info on it. When I initially heard about it I thought it was on a larger scale already but that isn't the case. Here is a quick write up on it.

Thanks for Posting - Eastfork is my "home lake ", I just bought a 2021 Tracker Targa DeepV 18WT with 150 HP and I couldn't be more disappointed in this situation :censored:

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's a great disappointment. I did some hiking there 2 weekends ago and even last weekend. The water looked like an oil tanker holding bright green paint spilled. It looks like some kind of environmental disaster happened. I was optimistic to think earlier they were making progress towards preventing the annual blooms. But guess not. Man!

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,415 Posts

I wonder how long it will take the Usda to approve the system, especially if it has worked in other states

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The water looks as bad as I’ve ever seen it.
I bet it takes until fall turnover before it clears.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

I took this pic last week at the Tate Ramp.
Now the lake doesn’t always look like this, it depends on which way the wind is blowing as to what you see sometimes. Mostly the water looks like pea soup.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Signs like this are up and red warning signs are located at the beach. Unbelievably some people are still swimming and lots of little kids are in the water. A few guys are still out fishing but usually it’s only 3 or 4 boats out each ramp.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had hoped it had improved from all the rain we had early last week. Doesn't look to be the case.

·
Registered
Standard tackle, kayak, v hull John boat with 8 horse outboard
51 Posts
Leaky septic, sanitary overflow, livestock, soaps and detergents, fertilizers… too much phosphorus and nitrogen input for one lake to handle. This Stuff has to be taken care of way upstream first. Everyone hates vegetated swales, think they are weedy, swampy, unsightly messes. Much better to put in a culvert pipe and move that water out, or spray down all the “weeds” to bare dirt. But vegetated swales are nature’s filters, and thousands of points of pollution will only be fixed with thousands of points of filtering.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was out walking trails this last Sunday, and from what I saw, the water was in much better shape than Crappiedude's photo. The algae looked more broken up and splotchy for a lack of a better term. The shad appear to be gobbling it up. Tons of shad on the surface. However, I wasn't at the Tate ramp so no clue what it looked like there. I was hiking trails toward the southeastern portion of the main lake.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts