Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fish Count: 12 wipers and white bass, 3 largemouth, 3 crappie, handful of bluegill and warmouth.
Weather:
@7:00 AM Crisp and foggy morning with temperatures @ 49°F and an increasing barometer @ 30.39inches.
@1:00 PM temperatures had reached 75°F and the barometer read 30.42 with bluebird skies and a slight wind blowing out of the south east.

Report:
We fished East Fork Saturday from 7am-1pm and saved a slow morning with over 20 fish in the boat by 1pm. I was a bit surprised we were the 2nd boat out on Tate ramp, I expected more people with such a great forecast. We started fishing lipless crankbaints near steep banks on primary lake points. First bass was taken within 10 minutes on a crayfish color. A crappie was pulled out of a laydown tree on a small jig. Overall, shad were plentiful even in the main lake's deeper waters, but we didn't see or hear any fish actively feeding on them in the Tate ramp area.

We moved up the river to check some of the laydowns and creek channels. The water back in the river was not moving and looked pretty stained/stagnant. There were more shad in the river than 2 weeks ago, but not nearly as many as there were this time last year. For the hour we spent up there, I saw only 3 fish feeding on them on the steep bank side, but we didn't have any luck on the tree stumps. 2 short strikes from what looked like either white bass or crappie.

By 10:00AM the sun was up over the treeline and we decided to fish the west side of the lake hoping the sunlight would help get things going. The wind was also blowing towards the west side of the lake, so we decided to fish the riprap/dike area north of the dam. The biggest bass of the day was caught on a Strike King Redeye Shad on a big laydown in one of the coves. We saw much larger shad in this area and a lot more activity on the surface. We started getting a lot of short-strikes on various lures and finally figured out what they wanted, fishing a shad like jerkbait with really aggressive pulls. Most fish were taken 1-5 feet from shore where the rocks drop off to deeper water. I think the fish were coming up from deeper water and flashing at just about every cast. Our boat was reading 12-15 feet on most passes along the riprap. Between 11:00 and 1:00 we were able to land 12 wipers and whiteys, 2 crappie, and several sunfish along this stretch. There was no sign of them letting up either, but we had to leave early. I would have loved to have seen how many we could have caught if we had stayed longer or started there sooner. Hopefully some of you guys found them today while I'm stuck at work!

-House

Here are a few photos taken from my friend's phone. I had a rough night Friday and the flaming blue t-shirt was all I could find at 5:30AM :) I'll upload the pictures from my camera later:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like you had a great day, I was there friday and killed the crappie on jigs in the stickups around the lake. I guess from what i know it seems like east fork is the only lake around here that is still producing really good right now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks like you had a great day, I was there friday and killed the crappie on jigs in the stickups around the lake. I guess from what i know it seems like east fork is the only lake around here that is still producing really good right now.
Fishfry, were you getting the crappie very deep by chance??? Just curious because I know it was pretty sunny and always heard the crappie go deeper when its powder blue out?????

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are NO whitebass in East Fork Lake, they are all hybrids. I was told this from CO officer when being checked for fish. So, don't keep what you think are whitebass, it could cost you a fine.
Bassky

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are NO whitebass in East Fork Lake, they are all hybrids. I was told this from CO officer when being checked for fish. So, don't keep what you think are whitebass, it could cost you a fine.
Bassky
Thanks for the note, Bassky. I've never kept any fish other than crappie, but from time to time I have seen quite a few people keeping bass near the boat ramp that are definitely under the 15" limit.

I would think that white bass would be able to get into the lake from the EFLMR on the east side. Doesn't that receive water from up north and maybe even the Ohio River somehow?

Here's a picture of 2 of the "mystery bass" I usually catch out of the LMR and on the bottom I put my East Fork hybrid. The lines are dark on the first fish, but it was my understanding a white bass would have one faint line back to its tail while a hybrid would have more than one. Is the first fish a hybrid as well? I'm 99% certain the middle fish is a white bass.

All I really know is that they all fight like little monsters!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I know there are some white bass in EF because I've caught them. Back in 2000, I talked to a fellow who said he hated those hybrid striped bass so he and his buddies took 5 gallon buckets full of white bass and put them in the lake. Thats all it takes.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
As far as the white bass, same thing happened at CJ back in the early 90`s. For yrs the crappie fell off dramatically and you couldn`t HELP but to catch dozens of 4- 5" white bass every outting. Hope they catch this "butthole" and FINE the CRAP out of him AND bar him from fishing FOR LIFE...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts