Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my imagination or are the crappies at East Fork running a little bigger than normal this year? It seems to me I'm catching more 10 to 12 inch crappies than in the past. As for Hybrids, did they remove the 15 inch minimum size limit? I can no longer find that regulation and I can't seem to catch any over 12 inches. I used to catch 23 inch Hybrids 4 and 5 years ago. Catfish seem to be down this year as well. Just curious what others think.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We fished there Friday and Saturday for first time ever. We had an impressive bite early morning on some flats. A few nice crappie for sure. A bunch of small cats and a few dandy cats. I trolled for hybrid an no takers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you figured out the lake then. That sounds pretty typical. I'm always amazed at the number of catfish you can catch trolling crankbaits. And yes, I agree, there are some nice size ones in there too. Channel Cat's, Flatheads and I believe I caught a nice Blue once. Thanks for the report.

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
23" hybrids alive 4 or 5 years ago are most likely dead by now. Average lifespan is 8 years and a 23" fish would have been a few years old at that point. There are definitely still some huge fish in EF, just hard to find.... even if that's all you hunt for. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
23" hybrids alive 4 or 5 years ago are most likely dead by now. Average lifespan is 8 years and a 23" fish would have been a few years old at that point. There are definitely still some huge fish in EF, just hard to find.... even if that's all you hunt for. :)
So do you know, have they stopped stocking Hybrids in EF?

·
M.saxatilis x M.chrysops
3,310 Posts
I believe they still stock approximately 2 million fry annually. They found the survival rate of fry to be the same as fingerlings and fry are much cheaper to rear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was told by a dnr officer last fall they were going to switch to saugeye and start in the spring of 2020 but that was before the whole virus thing started so I don't know what if any stockings occurred.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told by a dnr officer last fall they were going to switch to saugeye and start in the spring of 2020 but that was before the whole virus thing started so I don't know what if any stockings occurred.
Funny you should say that. I've been fishing East Fork for the past 10 years and I've caught a few small saugeye this year for the first time. Well, if they want my opinion, I'd rather catch the Hybrids.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
The saugeye stocking started in 2018 with 125,000 fingerlings. In 2019 I "heard" 1 million fry were stocked, I could never find anything to verify that number though. For 2020 I haven't heard any thing but I did hear the program is supposed to continue.
The saugeyes were supposed to be a replacement for the discontinued musky program. The muskies just never did fair to well in there. They did a few musky netting programs and it never yielded much in the way of results so they stopped that program.
IMO I'd much rather see the saugeyes than either the hybrids or the musky.
I never heard anything of stopping the hybrids stocking so I couldn't say what's going on one way or the other. I still catch plenty of small hybrids so I'm assuming the program is still going on.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
As far as the catfish go, I think the lake is full of them. Mind you I use jigs for 90% of my fishing and I caught this one a few weeks ago on a Bobby Garland on a 1/16 oz jig w/6# test line.
Fish Fisherman Recreation Wildlife biologist Fishing

Just for kicks I bought some worms and messed around one day using a small bobber and a small hook. I couldn't keep the catfish off my line.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I'd much rather see the saugeyes than either the hybrids
I'm pulling my hair out at this very moment ! :D
(Nice cat btw)
I like the hybrids because I can get them above the lake in the spring. I was hopeful the muskie would get a foothold also and provide a viable option above and in the tailwaters, sadly it was a bust.
That lake must be full of cats, in the spring on good days I've caught a dozen or more on flys, hard to tell what a guy could do with some liver or cut shad ;)
Having another spillway with good numbers of saugeye sure won't hurt my feelings.
Normally the crappie fishing is good in the creek also but this year and last were both tough years for me with crappie but probably had more to do with water levels than numbers of fish.
I guess I'll just have to adjust to what ever Odnr does :D
Good luck and good fishing !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts