close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

East Fork 5/22

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by mcmd8700, May 24, 2004.

1. Got on the lake at 8am, and got into some crappie. We caught about 10 in the 11inch to 13inch range. We caught about 40 others that were smaller. We caught all of these fish in two different spots and about 95% were caught on jigs. We left at noon, just as the pleasure boat traffic was starting to pick up, and the air temp was warming up.

First time I fished EF in two years, and being that is so close, I may have to return a little more frequently.

It's nice to see everyone back. I too was wondering where you all went after gfo.

2. I fished for wipers by dragging shiners under ballooons, and on down rods. I caught only one twelve inch wiper and a 2lb. catfish in 4 hrs. :mad:
    It could have been operator error. I hope the fishing picks up soon.

Danny

3. Fly_Fisher

Fly_Fisher Owner - JTC Outfitters

I went down to East Fork on Sunday 5-23-04 in the evening for about three hours of fishing. Went up the creek all the way to the first riffle (long way at no wake) and marked several large fish; even saw some jumping that were at least 5+ lbs. The arther upstream we went, the fewer and ssmaller the fish. I have had great luck fishing that first riffle for hybrids in the past caught one in the 5 lb range several years ago!

I did see two guys fishing the channel that had caught a couple really nice ones using 4 inch Rapala Husky Jerks - Silver, by casting into a pod of swirling shad. The hybrids love to eat these shad. Alewives do even beter for the live bait fisherman, but they are hard to come by unless you catch them yourself somewhere.

I usually fly fish with large CLouser minnows on a sinking line and have done well before with a fast strip, but I think we were about a week or two early. they were only about half way up in the creek. I like it when you get all the way back to the old boat ramp near the first riffle in about 3 - 6 feet of water and they are stacked up in there! It is like fishing a salmon spawn in late fall in MI! and on a fly rod, whoa! What a great time!

If anyone else has had better luck, let me know, or if they see them spawning up the creek, that would be soem great news! I would like to go back down to the EF again soon.

4. hey guys. are you suggesting the hybrids have not done their thing this year already. I thought that was well behind us. I went down a few times and have not been able to catch any of the hybrids. I thought they were already heading back out to the main lake. I appreciate any information anyone has on this, Josh

5. Fly_Fisher

Good question! I assumed that they were on the way in to start the spawn in the creek. I gues they could be on the back out to the lake! This is the week that we always went down to fish, (my buddy knows the date due to his anniversary being very close to this time and instead of wedding planning that year we were striper fishing . . . you can imagine how the rest of that story goes!) Maybe they are on the way out to the lake. If anyone has any thoughs on this matter, please let me know before I drive back down there for a short evening of fishing!

Thanks, :eek:

6. Hey Fly fisher. If you get a chance to go down there and find any information, would you let me know about it. Ive been wanting to go down with my father and have a good day of fishing. I have heard that the stripers are really the deal there at East fork. I just have not had any luck yet. Ive only tried for them twice after learning about the fishery, and the oppurtunity to really catch alot of hybrids in a single outing. I would really love to get on them good one day. Thanks for the info guys, Josh...
    I practice catch and realease.

7. Fly_Fisher

I don't know when I will get back down there, but if I do, I will let you know!