Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,134 Posts
Went to Ash, Thursday.
The water inside the wall was still very cloudy from the earlier-in-the-weeks wind,,, & there was a work barge going in & out, stirring things up.
Visibility was just a foot or two.
We thought at first that the smallies were done & moved out but we found them with the 4th move. I'd say that we LOST 15+,,, we just couldn't get them in the boat. We threw 7, 2-3#ers in the cooler.
Most of the big smallies were 15'-20' from shore, 5' to 10' down,,, outside the weeds.
Still one heck of an air show!
We ended the almost perfect day with the 7 smallies and 47 red-eyes.
It's really slowing down but there were still eggs in some of the rockies.
Maybe Just One More Week. ;)

·
5,134 Posts
Nice catch, i have no problem with you keeping fish. However I would not want to eat any fish that reside in ashtabula harbor. Just an FYI http://restoration.doi.gov/Case_Docs/Assessment_Documents/OH_Ashtabula_River_Fish_Consump_Adv_05.pdf
Foxfire,,, Thanks for the eat'n tip,,,
BUT, I wonder,,, Where do they go AFTER they're done spawning for that month or two? :confused: (WE NEED Mr. LIMPETT!)
They sure don't stay in that HOT harbor or in that smelly 'ol river!??
Before May 1st till the 4th of July,,,, GOOD LUCK catching a BUNCH inside the wall!

I'm just guessing, but I'd say that they're down deep, outside the wall for say 325 of the 365! Kinda like all those River Steelies that we smoke up.

They're Most likely hanging with/ near those perch that EVERYONE is gobbleing up.
Probably out by that garbage/ toxic waste/ whatever dump. :D

Ya know,,, I'm 60 something,,, and most of our bunch is retired,,, SOOOO We're kinda like the TEST DUMMIES!
I'M GONNA EAT AS MANY AS I CAN,,, AS FAST AS I CAN,,,
TILL I GET SICK OR PUKE!!! :p

Lets see,,, I'd say we ATE 150 or so, so far,,, and have another 150 in the freezer,,, Like, they haven't been in-season for very long!
If I'm NOT here typing next year,,, You'll know that they KILD ME!! :p

Hey, Just curious,,,, can a person still win a 'Bass Compitition' with JUST ONE 10"er? :D

·
Premium Member
10,898 Posts

Lets see,,, I'd say we ATE 150 or so, so far,,, and have another 150 in the freezer,,, Like, they haven't been in-season for very long!
Let's see the season has been in for 8 days with a 5 fish limit, so you and your buddies are averaging just over 37 fish kept per day for 8 days straight?. So 8 of you guys have been fishing every day for the last 8 days, right?:)And I'm guessing the 8 of you have each eaten your share of the 300 filets, 37 per day per person, right?, Probably shared with others so you only ate like 15-20 filets per day. Wow, imagine how many filets you have eaten if there were only four of you.

I'm guessing you are probably full of them.:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Cranks? Tubes? Drop shot? Thinking about headings there in am

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Went to Ash, Thursday.
The water inside the wall was still very cloudy from the earlier-in-the-weeks wind,,, & there was a work barge going in & out, stirring things up.
Visibility was just a foot or two.
We thought at first that the smallies were done & moved out but we found them with the 4th move. I'd say that we LOST 15+,,, we just couldn't get them in the boat. We threw 7, 2-3#ers in the cooler.
Most of the big smallies were 15'-20' from shore, 5' to 10' down,,, outside the weeds.
Still one heck of an air show!
We ended the almost perfect day with the 7 smallies and 47 red-eyes.
It's really slowing down but there were still eggs in some of the rockies.
Maybe Just One More Week. ;)
what kind of boat were you in cause the guys i seen there werent get any smallies that day

·
Carp53.65
4,235 Posts
Hey Doboy I got a question for you. We went out today around the bass islands and kept two tickets of smallmouth. Of the 10 fish that I cleaned 6 still had firm eggs in them. What have you been finding egg wise on the smallmouth that you have been cleaning. BTY our biggest smallmouth was 21.5" and around 6 pounds.

·
5,134 Posts

Quote Lundy;
Let's see the season has been in for 8 days with a 5 fish limit, so you and your buddies are averaging just over 37 fish kept per day for 8 days straight?. So 8 of you guys have been fishing every day for the last 8 days, right?And I'm guessing the 8 of you have each eaten your share of the 300 filets, 37 per day per person, right?, Probably shared with others so you only ate like 15-20 filets per day. Wow, imagine how many filets you have eaten if there were only four of you.

I'm guessing you are probably full of them.

WOW!! MY BAD!!! NICE CATCH, LUNDY!
LMAO! WHERE THE HECK DID THOSE ZERO'S COME FROM???
T Y P O :p

·
5,134 Posts
Hey Doboy I got a question for you. We went out today around the bass islands and kept two tickets of smallmouth. Of the 10 fish that I cleaned 6 still had firm eggs in them. What have you been finding egg wise on the smallmouth that you have been cleaning. BTY our biggest smallmouth was 21.5" and around 6 pounds.
Hello Flathead; (ok, now I'm serious! ;))
I just got off the phone with the other guys,,, NONE of their smallies had any eggs, also. Water temp in the docks was 71*?
Your Quote; 21.5" and around 6 pounds.
Wow, a fat mount'r!

Personally, like I said earlier, we're just there, inside the walls, for the red-eyes, crappies, and occasional perch,,, till the deep perching gets great.
I have NEVER caught an over-4#-smallie at Ash.
AND still have NEVER landed a 6#+ at Conny!
I NEVER target smallies,,, WE HATE smallies,,, We JUST EAT'EM WHEN THEY GET IN THE WAY OF THOSE PAN-FISH!! :D

We're just there, with some of our best friends & a 'first-timer-kid-or-two-,,,
To KICK BACK and WATCH MOTHER NATURE GO 'ROUND,,,
Till one of those &^%$#@ jet-ski's go' passed.

·
5,134 Posts
what kind of boat were you in cause the guys i seen there werent get any smallies that day
Hello firstflight,,,
You musta been watching 'Charley the Greek' ! He was the only other boat, inside the wall, that I seen,,, that LOOKED like he was specifically targeting smallies.
He trolled on passed us and ask us how we were doing. Were you with HIM?
Blue boat?
I didn't recognise him at first,,, so I Lied,,, go figure.
If he wasn't going so FAST, he would'a seen how many smallies WE LOST in that 100yd spot!
GO SLOW,,, HIT EVERY 5' of shoreline.

Quote JF1;
Cranks? Tubes? Drop shot? Thinking about heading there in am.

Hello Jf1;
90% of the time, ALL I use is a LARGE FAT-HEAD & stick bobber!
I'm gettin' old and just don't want to be bothered pulling jigs & rubber out of snaggs & WEEDS! Those days are GONE! That's why I don't target Smallies! lol,,, With my 40 year old ZEBCO ultralight, IT JUST TAKES UP TOO MUCH TIME to real the darn things in! ( not to mention 'Corperal Tunnel Syndrome' ;)

I bought my boat in '81. ' been filling the cooler, inside the walls, every year since then,,, quietly.
I'm spilling the beans now, so that some kid can take over.
NO OUTLAWS PLEASE,,, ain't it right, Charley/ Dennis ? :mad:

·
Carp53.65
4,235 Posts
Thanks Doboy for answering the question. Found it wierd that these fish still had eggs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts