Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Angler For Life
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,
i am heading to east branch in the morning to try for some pike. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where and how might be the best way to try for them or should i be trying another location altogether. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't fished E. Branch but in Canada we always had good luck with really heavy spinners (1oz) reeled in fast but still under the surface. Wood or weeds were always good.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you can get live shiners or suckers use them suspended under a bobber. I use to fish there for pike many years ago. If you can't get live bait then try throwing a suspended jerk bait like a rogue. Clown color was always good. There's a cove across from the boat ramp (not the long one but to the right of it) that I've had some luck in. Not big fish but numbers. White spinnerbaits will also produce.
Good luck and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, mosquito is a good pike lake but there's a bass tournament out there tomorrow that's why I didn't recommend it. You can try Eldon Russell Park. I've never fished it but have heard some good things about it. It's north of Ladue on rapids rd. Try a search on this site.

·
Angler For Life
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys i just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions. i will take them into consideration and i will let you know i things go. maybe even get a couple pics. definitely going to get some of the large shiners. also plan on throwing a couple jerk baits at them as well as some pike spinners that i came across.

·
Angler For Life
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gethenet,
i have been thinking about stopping at eldon russell on my way out since it is not far out of the way. like you though i have not had much luck there in the past with exception of catching a 12 inch crappie down by that frallen tree last year on a buzzbait.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Anyone have any info on aquilla lake. Use to be a good place for early season pike. We use to fish it every spring with big shiners for pike & bass. Wonder why the state odnr didn't keep up on this lake. years ago this lake was a sleeper. East branch off 322 bridge gives up some nice pike every spring. I would float a big minnow under a bobber & cast big spinners & hold on tight.Good luck.

·
Angler For Life
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
started out this morning at ladue with no luck. stayed out most of the day, hit several locations and ended up where i started "Ladue". caught quite a few dink crappie then out of nowhere i catch a nice 12"er. then after about another hour and 40 to 50 cast (ok i am a gluton for punishment) standing knee deep under the rte 44 bridge, using a ultalite set-up with 2lb test line and a 2" lite green mister twister, right after the sun went down i caught a 23" walleye that hit literally right at my feet in 2 feet of water. startled the day lights out of me when the pole bent double. the crappie is the biggest i have ever caught at ladue. the walleye is the first i have ever caught out of ladue. so after all it turned out to be an awsome day.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Looks like a nice fat belly on the the walleye! I bet he tastes good tomorrow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts