close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

East Branch 5-19

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Zanini, May 20, 2004.

1. A beautiful night last night. The temp was nice until well after the sun went down. The water was stained (about 10 inches visibility).

I know the advice said troll and I did a little, but I just have to feel the fish. I couldn't make myself troll! :) There is so much nice wood cover on that lake I thought I could scare up some bass on creature baits, shallow cranks, wacky worms, and a buzz around the pads. After much trying, I got one keeper in a cove on a plain looking bank that dropped off in a hurry (green wacky worm with a small weight). I had a couple strikes on the buzz, but they missed (I didn't miss them... they just missed the bait :) ). I worry about those fish. I hope they don't starve to death.

With an hour to fish I went to the pump house. I never use live bait, but I thought I could jig or spinner some crappie. On the fifth cast with a small white jig I landed a 10.5 inch crappie. I followed that with a white bass and 4 bluegill before moving out. As I turned from the pumphouse I started to cast the dam on the way to the ramp. About 10 yards away I landed a BIG crappie on a meps number 1. I was so excited about the size that instead of throwing him right into the well, I wanted to measure. He was easily over 12.5. I started to put him up to the stick (mounted on the wall of my boat), he flipped... he splashed... he swam... I cried. I can't believe I let that happen.

One of my buddies got three nice bass. All three came on a buzz bait, and he lost another halfway to the boat.

All in all.. not bad for EastBranch. I always struggle there.

Some other guys with me got fish on the troll while moving from one spot to another. They were undersized, but it shows your advice was right on. Had I applied it more, I may have done even better.

Thanks again!

2. what was the water temp? do you know? also did you notice the carp rolling in the weedbeds?

3. I don't know, but I'd guess mid 60s. I was in the water to load my boat and it felt cool, but not cold. I think the rain has brought the temp down and caused the stain.

I did see carp in the weed beds. Some were jumping.