close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Early question Night bite(eyes)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joe01, Jul 23, 2007.

1. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

I have fish the night bite for the last 3 years, Last year was my worst year. Does any one ever use live bait while night fishing for eyes from shore?
    I use shad raps, husky 12# to 14#, jig and twister, hot-in-tots. I never hear any one talk about live bait. Last year on 72nd street i saw a few guy's use large slip with large min, pull a few. Any feed back would be great, Let start a good thread here.

2. I have tried live bait and never had a hit.Guys all around me pounding fish and soon as I switch over to a lure wham fish on.
    Now guys will argue this to death but heres how I get limits every night out.(in spring,falls a little hit or miss).Almost everyone uses a huge lure that dives.But I have way more success on smaller raps and rogues 4-5" floaters.Barely crank it so slow that you would swear its not even swimming.Its much easier for the eyes to see the silhouette on top of the water.As it warms in the spring or right at the begining of fall still reel slow but give it a little snap of the rod every 2-3 turns of the reel.
    This is just what has worked for me for 15+ years of Erie night eyes.And one more thing,its not just a west thing.You can catch them from shore from Toledo to Buffalo.

3. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

i have seen guys use a jumbo leech under a bobber and have good success, however for me i always use plugs and have great success, imo if you dont have to mess w/ live bait then why do it?

4. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

If you are going to use livebait hopefully you will be fishing an area where the fishing pressure is low, if not with the currents around the piers you would be reeling in every couple of minutes to avoid tangles with other fisherman. You want to use what the eyes are feeding on and 90% of the time it is emeralds and shad. Sticks are where it's at, you can control the speed of retrieval enticing the eyes to thinking they have an easy meal.

5. joe01

If you were to use a slip and emeralds, what kind of depth would you use?

6. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

If I was going to use live bait from the shore (night bite) I would target the top seven feet of the water column. From shore I almost exclusively use the Rapala HJ14 in Tennessee Shad and Clown colors, with the slow retrieve used during the night bite these baits won't get any deeper than that. If I were you I would keep chuckin' the sticks from shore. The reason I say stay with the stick baits is because there is usually so many baitfish in the area that a live bait presentation would be a needle in the haystack for the eyes to find, they want something that stands out and is easy prey plus you are covering more water by casting and retrieving than by throwing a float out there and letting the current take it. Some nights the eyes are less than 3 feet from shore cruising the rocks and other nights they are 25-30 feet out. Slow moving wobbling sticks are the ticket. The night bite is hit or miss, it all comes down to whether or not there are baitfish in the area, if there are baitfish then the eyes will be close by. You just have to keep going as many nights as possible and you will have success soon or a later. Believe me I have had my fair share of skunks but the nights when you slame em' makes you forget about the skunks. Hook up with some of us this fall and we can show you the ropes.

7. Don't forget about the Blue & Chrome and Black & Golds either. These would probably be the 4 "Go-to Colors".

I've been fishing the nite-bite for 3 years also, and this last fall & Spring have been my best so far... keep tossing them sticks.....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  8. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

:D
    LOL ! I knew you were going to jump in on this thread ! They all work, the Husky Jerks are an awesome lure imo, it comes down to personal preference and what you have confidence in. I don't put much thought into water clarity and lure color choice during the late fall night bite. You can tell what I use most by looking in my husky jerk case, the clown and tennesse shad colors are beat to death, some barely have any paint left on them ! Man, I can't wait for the night bite !

Is softball over yet ? When you going to get out on the water with us :confused:

9. joe01

I want to hit it hard this year. I tryed eveything last year I will pick up somemore husky in 14 and 12