Early Pre-Spawn around the corner?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by RiparianRanger, Mar 9, 2018.

1. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Spring can often be maddening for the smallmouth angler. The warming trend that awakens our quarry from its winter slumber often comes in fits and starts - a handful of 60 degree sunny days followed by a cold front that shuts down the bite. To add insult to injury those warm days with so much promise for bronze action seem to occur during the work week with weekends characterized by cold overcast weather.

Research reveals the first few days where water temps are in the mid- to upper-40s marks the early pre-spawn. The ten day forecast suggests late next week will bring a warming trend, breaking out from the current 45/25 high/low pattern, with air temps reaching 60 degrees with sun.

Curious if anyone has been out lately and taken a stream or river temperature reading, and can comment on projected water temps next week if the forecast holds.

2. Deazl666

Deazl666 A one-man wolfpack...

I braved the high water four days ago, and, although I neglected to take my thermometer, I can tell you that we’re not there yet, as I could feel the cold through my neoprenes. My guess is very low forties/high thirties. Be ready for that jump though cause it’s coming...

3. I would guess around low 40s. I gave it a go today for about an hour and a half, caught 2 and missed one. The bite was pretty light, it’s going to heat up here soon.

4. RiparianRanger

Pictures or it didn’t happen ;)

wallen34 likes this.
  5. bruce

bruce

Go find out for your self. Get up and go. It is cold and windy out side I get it. Get your new lic
    ance and go try your luck

6. Rip, I'm going somewhere tomorrow...whether to christen the kayak on a lake, to catch some trout, or check the temp. I'll likely check the temp because I have so much new tackle that I almost can't wait.

HappySnag and RiparianRanger like this.
  7. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1520647540.622567.jpg
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1520647555.560062.jpg

8. Skippy

Skippy

No wedding ring. No wonder he's out fishing in the cold.:D

9. Alright...I have a temperature, but all it did was to convince me that my thermometer cannot be very accurate. It was going just under 10 degrees celsius, which translates to just under 50 fahrenheit...that seems to be too warm. Now, I was in pretty shallow water every temp I took, but still...I don't know.

I will say that I did not hit BWC--probably will tomorrow--went to the Scioto based on a gauge reading and either I'm illiterate or something was wrong, because it was WAAAAAAAY up. I took a temp and left and went to a pond I know.

Landed this guy (and had three other short strikes), with my size 13 for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Measured at just a tic over 17 inches. Got him (I suspect) on a slush 2.75 Joshy, slow rolled along the bottom with the standard 1/8 ounce jig head. It was along a break line (where there are normally some weeds in the summer), with the wind blowing in my face--I was trying to imitate shad/baitfish coming with the wind to the shallow side. The water temp was dead on 10 celsius here (this I may believe, but not sure). Water was stained, probably a foot or less visibility--we normally have success here with killer clown or glo perch.

Feels good to be on the board for the year.

10. RiparianRanger

^given the prior three-day trend of highs in the 30s, it's difficult to believe water temperature would be substantially higher than today's ambient air temperature (45F). Still, water temps on shallow streams can rise rapidly as riffles trap atmospheric air and aerate the water. A good, sunny spot near some rocks and downstream of a long riffle/run can warm up surprisingly quick. Area impoundments of the upland variety on the other hand, that's a different story.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Baloogala likes this.
  11. Agreed. That's why I assume something is wrong with the temp I took.

12. Deazl666

Fyi: My flow was still frigid today, way below 50. Casted for an hour and took off. I’m calling it a practice session.

reyangelo likes this.
  13. Yeah...when I read the thermometer and then did the math I said "the hell...?" I'm going back to BWC tomorrow, I think, and will try again. I think it's probably because of where or how I took it. Like I said, I agree...there's simply no way it was accurate.

One thing I forgot to mention on the largemouth today was that the fish took the Joshy so subtly that I thought I had a weed. I lifted the rod tip a little sharply just to free it and that was when I realized it was a fish. He was clearly pretty lethargic even in the fight.

14. RiparianRanger

Going to be anywhere near a suspected winter hole? Might try and join you in the afternoon

15. Not 100% sure. Since I'm so far south on the Nut I've long suspected that they all just get to the Scioto. I'll know a bit more in a couple hours if I go anywhere. If I go, there is one spot that I think they may hang out.

16. Mike, before the cold front came in I was able to hit one flow last week and it read ~45F. I hit the same flow Friday night and it was reading barely ~42F. Surface air was ~20F which I had to clean ice off my eyelids every 3rd or 4th cast. Plus by the time i left, I could not fold my foldable net - the netting material froze solid. Was still able to catch one nice fish, missed two.

17. Sandusky River up in Fremont went from 45 to 39.

18. I’d say the small flows are pretty much at the tipping point for prespawn. Should be good fishing this week. I caught a couple smallmouth this past week and a nice 17.5”er with a full belly today. Big Joshys and crawfish imitating jigs are working. Get out there! they are heating up even in this chilly weather.
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1520814365.208557.jpg

19. RiparianRanger

With all the sunshine it sure looks warmer outside than it is today (39). If the forecast holds I plan to wet a line Sunday which is estimated to be sunny and 53 degrees, marking the third day of a warming trend. Just curious if anyone has been out this week and taken a water temperature reading and can assist with the current baseline temperature from which streams will be warming up.

20. Deazl666

Forecast tomorrow looks terrible; I’m really hating this year’s late-winter smallie phase.

akak likes this.