close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Early morning Flatties?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by dinkbuster1, Jun 6, 2007.

1. anyone have any luck catching BIG flatties in the wee hours of the morning fishing small/medium rivers? say, from 330am till just after daylight? if so where do you find them? for years i have read about how those hours are best but after experimenting deep, shallow, surface, ledges, drop offs, snags, etc, we gave up a few years back and started leaving after 3am or so, just wasnt worth staying. it seemed everything but dinks shut down after that! the articles i read were refering to BIG rivers and reservoirs, and this weekend a freind and i developed a far out theory that maybe in smaller rivers the flatties can catch food easier and therefore fill up quicker. ????????

2. A big fish can bite at any time of the night. There's really no way of predicting it. Bait is much more plentiful in lakes, and we catch fish at all hours of the night, and occasionally after daybreak.

3. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

i noticed that i have good luck around 4am to 6am. The only thing i think is better is in the evening when the sun goes down

4. bigdogsteve-o

bigdogsteve-o The Catfishing God

I agree Nate,right when the sun is setting and the moon is on the way up seems to be when they bite best

5. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

not an expert here but everywhere i have fished it seems to be the best right as and a little after sun is going down and then again about 2 hours or so before sunrise into an hour after it...a flathead is a predatory fish not a scavanger so they hunt for their food...hence they have active feeding hours (depending where you fish) which will be better fishing times than others and when they become active I have always been told to target shallow to medium flats or rocky shoals...they will travel to these areas to grab a quick bite before they return to a hole or undercut bank to keep out of the sun

6. I fish through the entire night many times and have never noticed any patterns myself. I have been bitten at pretty much all times in the night and early morning. Now, I'm talking about mostly fish under 25lbs though; I ain't in the same league as "katfish" and his clan - unfortunately!!!!

7. i have been catching most of my fish this year from a half our after dark until 11-12ish, im sure they bite later but it seems to slow down after the first few hours of dark and i leave once it does, this past week though i have had better luck in the late afternoon for some reason. they bite when they are hungry you just have to be there

8. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Mike failed to mention that Squirrel held up a 20 pound flat
    Memorial Weekend that he caught while Mike and I were catching
    bluegill for bait:D

If your bait is in the water and a flathead wants it he will get
    it. Flathead don't have watches and only know when they are
    hungry they go hunting.

9. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I would have to agree. I've caught Flatties morning, noon and night. I even caught one a few years ago about 3 in the afternoon in the heat of a summer day (28lbs).

If the fish is hungry, the fish will feed period.

10. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

Here is what I have noticed for cats in general. When fishing the river I can catch flatheads all day and night. But as summer gets hotter I catch more at night, yet still get 15-20lb fish in the heat of the day. The river is full of shade!
    When fishing lakes, I do not even bother to fish for flatheads during the day. Too many fisherman to make me mad. The last flat I got bit just after 2 am. The best one I(my girlfriend) got last year bit at 4:20 am. The year befor that the best one bit at 5:20 am and the air temp was under 30 degrees. And I have been bit every hour from sun down to sunup. Besides what is a few more hours of being awake? Cuddle up with the rod and waste the last few hours asleep. You just never know.

Last I will throw my 2 cents in on channel cats. I can just flat out catch more during the day, and right at sunup/sundown. Sure I catch the odd one in the middle of the night when they steal the bait intended for a flathead, but the middle of the night has always been just waiting time for me.

That is just my observations, and there are pleanty of fish that didn't read the same book I did, so there you go.

Rob