Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys will the early muzzle loader season hurt the rut? I know there's threads about this but I wanted to start a new one any info would be great

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
No. The rut will still happen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
She says I'm on one
908 Posts
what kind of ranges do you guys normally shoot with your smoke poles? just curious, I don't own or intend to shoot one

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ditto on the rut still happening, it's more of a moon phase/lack of daylight thing in my opinion. I feel comfortable at 250 yards with my current ML setup, I haven't harvested a deer at that distance, but the range targets leave me confident.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
im sure the answer is yes it "may" impact the rut in certain places. there will most certainly be less doe's. the impact could be positive or negative depending on number hit in your area.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you bow hunt , don't go out these 2 days for muzzle loader please. We need to NOT go and hope this silly 2 day back fires on the ODNR . By not going, the kills will not show it working and hopefully they don't do it again. I believe this is going to make some kind of impact on the bow hunting this year. What kind of impact, I don't know. I do believe its going to do something. If anyone of you hunt in a woods and know others hunt in the same woods and they go out these 2 days, I'm sure its going to impact your bow hunting. I am not against muzzle loaders and hunting with them or shotguns, but I am against these 2 days. This is just my opinion. Thanks and be safe in whatever hunting you do this year.:D

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,048 Posts
I'm going and I think it's going to be a good chance to harvest some meat for the freezer. The deer will be movin for sure. It's only 2 days an wont affect the rut much because I don't think I'll be on.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I'll be out for sure, I'm looking forward to it.
I do think it's kind of stupid to be a "doe only weekend" regardless of hunting method. Ky has an early ML season and both Ky & In have gun seasons during the rut and everything goes just fine. It seems when Ohio has a "rule change" it comes with some kind of ridiculous rules. I remember when Sunday hunting came it....it had some pretty ridiculous baggage the 1st few years it was in effect.

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
The ODNR Isn't looking to kill bucks that weekend, they want the baby makers killed. It is the plan to continue to reduce the herd size overall

The early "baggage" for Sunday hunting was a requirement by the farm bureau to support Sunday hunting. Landowners were required to sign up to allow for Sunday hunting on their property. Landowners that did not support Sunday hunting could just not sign up.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
when it comes to big bucks there is a reason ohio ranks higher than kentucky and indiana. i vote to keep it that way..and im against thinning the herd. i want more deer in the woods.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The ODNR Isn't looking to kill bucks that weekend, they want the baby makers killed. It is the plan to continue to reduce the herd size overall

The early "baggage" for Sunday hunting was a requirement by the farm bureau to support Sunday hunting. Landowners were required to sign up to allow for Sunday hunting on their property. Landowners that did not support Sunday hunting could just not sign up.
Oh I understand they want to put a smacking on the does but like AEFishing said you're only allowed 1 buck. Once it's down, your doe hunting the rest of the year anyway.

Exactly what I was talking about with the Sunday hunting. I also believe there was an acreage requirement too. Really there was no need for special rules. If the landowner didn't want you there he could just ask you not to hunt on Sunday. Honestly, I know a lot of land owners and none of them cared if you hunted or not.

I always thought the "no hunting on Sunday" was a hidden agenda put out by the wives of hunters just trying to make us stay home at least one day on the weekend and they gave up on the idea when they realized we would just go fishing instead.:D

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
when it comes to big bucks there is a reason ohio ranks higher than kentucky and indiana. i vote to keep it that way..and im against thinning the herd. i want more deer in the woods.

Those are two differing goals.... lots of deer per acre usually means a smaller average sized deer. Living right across the river from west Virginia, and working with a lot of wva hunters everyday, it's apparent that their attempt at herd reduction over the last 15-20 years is working. Each season, guys are killing bigger deer than the previous season. The deer look healthier, and the antler size is averaging much higher.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
a 4 1/2 year old buck is still gonna be a 4 1/2 year old buck. we arent talking about thinning fish numbers so the fish grow bigger. unless the deer just has piss poor genes or been injuredinjured at 4 1/2 years old he's looking good.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
a 4 1/2 year old buck is still gonna be a 4 1/2 year old buck. we arent talking about thinning fish numbers so the fish grow bigger. unless the deer just has piss poor genes or been injuredinjured at 4 1/2 years old he's looking good.

A 4 1/2 year old buck that eats whenever and whatever he wants without the need to search it out will be bigger and healthier than a 4 1/2 year old buck that spends his entire life searching for food that all the other deer haven't eaten yet. The woods work just like a pond or lake. They can only support so much "poundage" of foraging animals per acre. You either get that poundage by more, smaller animals, or fewer, but heavier animals...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
im not in favor of this, rut will still happen no doubt, but your going to get alot more nocturnal deer now. it isnt like they are already nocturnal enough. if you cant kill a doe with a bow before gun season, mybe a little more hunting experience is needed.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
im not in favor of this, rut will still happen no doubt, but your going to get alot more nocturnal deer now. it isnt like they are already nocturnal enough. if you cant kill a doe with a bow before gun season, mybe a little more hunting experience is needed.
Not everyone bow hunts...

1 - 20 of 147 Posts