Earliest Ice Season in handful of years?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by icebucketjohn, Nov 20, 2008.

1. I've always marked my calender for Dec 15th as the start of ice fishing season in inland waters of NE Ohio. WE havent been on the ice near that date in a long time. In fact, the last two years have been prettys slim for good, sustainable, safe ice. The local bait & tackle shops have really struggled.

I ice-fish mostly Portage Lakes, but am strongly considering giving Mogadore a try or two this season. (Since I'm working 2nd shift, most of my fishing will be done in the morning hours... and I may give Mogadore a try or two).

If this cold stretch keeps up, we may be drilling holes real soon!

2. the earliest ive ever been on the ice DEC 14 2005 at indian lake.

[​IMG]

3. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Sounds good to me:)

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

the earliest ive ever been out was Dec. 8 2005 and that season turned out to be a disaster (overall)

5. tomb

tomb Tom B.

That was the year we were done before new years. We had a great few trips that season. Really slammed the walleye and crappie on Mosquito. Only fished 5 trips I think, but man they were all action.

[​IMG]

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

yeah. i have some pictures, 6" of great ice on mogadore on the 18th (i think) of dec. ill never forget that year. one night on mosquito the crappie were on fire after dark. BIG ones too. then at new years it was all over for the season. what a huge let down. i remember tomb you caught that nice walleye i think you said you got it on a tip up.

7. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

tomb......nice fish, thanks for sharing.......my earliest was Nov.30 (my B-Day)and back way more years than some of you are old....Back end of Mogadore..Palm Road....Back in those times I was guilty of some pretty thin ice trips with Don Morgan ( Mogadore Live Baits founder)and that was in the dark,we would crawl and slide the lantern ahead at arms length.....NOT WHAT I WOULD ADVISE ANY ONE TO TRY......as the dis-claimer would say...

8. The weather and temperature is looking better out there today., Friday 11/21/08.

Even though temps aren't dropping into the teens, these near freezing conditions and snow will drop water temps. Once the water temps start dropping, they wont increase for the rest of the years. It'll be conducive for a quick freeze and the start of drilling holes.

9. mrphish42

John......Your hands are shaking so bad at just the thought being able to drill all those holes.....I don't know if you can hang on to the auger...HaHa...Thanks for the update....It's on the way... Jon SR.(just another patient in the asylum of the frigid) "man.....I love that line.

10. you guys like mogadore res at all? i had good luck out there last year,,, if ever out there and you see a maroon home made ice shanty with a pirates flag on it stop and say hey!!!

11. ...Just had to go down to the basemenet and change line on one of my rods. My eyes and hands are as sharp as in my youth.

These days, I like the Stren Hi-Viz Yellow, 4 lb, then will add a 2 lb leader.

12. Sure will, I havent ice fished Mogadore in decades, but am certainly going to give a try this season.

Where do you park and where do you fish at Mogadore? I'm not familiar with the lake at all.

13. i go off of 43 or lansinger rd across from the bait shop. pulled some nice pan fish outta there

14. Can you drive down Lansinger Rd and park at the Boat Dock Area? I heard that road was closed during the winter?

15. ya they close the gate but i bear the walk about half way to the boat ramp and then cut down and out,,, or iff you it 43 theres some spots,.. the best i have had was off a side rd i cant remember at the moment the name but its shallow. if you go out to a point there a deep area very small but loaded with crappie

16. I'll be keeping a eye out for ya.

I stopped at Mogadore Bait & Tackle the other day.. First Time Ever. He said most guys will start off Congress Lake Rd or Palm Rd; then work there way westward as the larger sections of the lake freeze.

17. mrphish42

John......as you go towards Palm Rd. from Congress Lake Rd (or to the east). The lake splits around a island and comes back....except for a channel......most of that water (in that whole big area out there) has an average water depth of only 5 feet ( and I said average)....That's why that area has such an early freeze history....Kinda like fishing the bays at Mud Lake... when you will only fish in 3 or 4 feet of water.....Jon Sr.

18. thats the road palm,,,,, ya like he said its only average 5 ft , but that one dep spot when i say deep i mean 2ft deeper than the area average, i did you right on the edge,,, so how soon do you guys think there will be safe solid ice?