close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eagle or Lowrance X-15 or seperates ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K gonefishin, Jul 13, 2004.

1. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Hi guys I am in the markt for new fishfinder and gps I just about had my mind set on the X 15 with gps the whole package but got to thinking about having seperate units and was considering getting the Eagle Intellimap and the
    X 135 I like the idea of having seperate units, what do you guys think? I have never owned either of these manufactures products but am looking at these two companies products only don't want to spend over 1,000
    any pros and cons of these or any other suggestions HELP

2. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I can't help you with the two seperate products that you mention, but I do have an X-15 and have been using it for 3 years primarily on Erie.

I really like the unit and it has served my purposes pretty well and I've never had any problems with it, BUT when I make my next upgrade it will be with tow seperate units. I will buy a Garmin GPS and as of now I'm split on a few sonar units but Lowrance units are still in the running.

Kim

3. I Had A Lms350a For 2 Yrs..the First Yr.it Went Out..sent It Back Under Warranty An Was Fixed..second Yr.it Happened Again.called Lowrance And All They Wanted To Do Was Sell Me Another 1 And Trade The Lms In For A Small Token..i Told Em No And Then Proceded To Tell Em Why Would I Want Another Lowrance When The One I Bought Didnt Last 2 Yrs.so I Replaced It W/a Garmin..first Yr It Blew A Diode..sent It Back To Cabelas And They Sent Me Another One.so Far Its Been Working Good..also,you Might Want To Consider Getting A Gps In A Separate Unit..if It Quits Working You Dont Have Neither 1 To Work With....

4. I also have the X-15 (2 years now) and I love it, Great unit!!!! But if I was buying again, I agree With Kim,,, Get two seperate units.... ;) Stan

5. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Just thought I would pitch in my 2 cents worth.
    With a depthfinder and handheld GPS you would also have a portable GPS unit that would be handy for hunting ;)

6. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Well here's the thing I have two boats, on the 16fter tiller fishing boat I have a Garmin 240 blue and love it I have had no problems with it at all, I do also have a Garmin Legend handheld, these items work good but I also have a 19ft wellcraft so I need a nice combo or seperates for this boat. I have a matrix 15 on it now which I just got last week it's okay but it's a temporary thing just got it so I had something this past sat,sunday, I have been exploring all options I had the chance to use the x15 on a friends boat and fell in love. I like product I can go with two separates like a X135 and a global map 4800 or lms-480, the only difference in these top lines is are they seperates, resolution, and power the features are all the same, I do want the mapcreate with it for and want at least 2400 watts of power with a 200k transducer, I am thinking Garmin GPS and X-135 or the Eagle model that is the same as lms -480 to many damn options then with the freedom maps, navionics, blue chart my head is spinning thanks for the imput. keep it coming,Ohh by the way I fish Erie almost 90 percent of the time so I need the powers to navigate and track data.

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The reason that i will go with two units in the future is because I fish Erie primarily. I like to run split screen zoom on the sonar and run my plotter, can't do that with one unit. You need to keep switching scrrens. The x-15 is an awesome unit for a combo, but I've got my eyes on some that are bigger and better in the near future. Then I'll just have to upgrade the boat to accomadate my new electronics :D

Kim

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Well after days and days of delagating on what I am going to get I think I am going to go with the X-135 and the lms 4000 global map both have the 480 X480 resolution. I read a bunch of stuff on WC and everyone is saying this would be the way to go (seperates) and seen nothing bad about either of these units. I still have to get the mapcreate and or navionics which I plan on doing but will need a minute after dropping a Grand on electronins. Does anyone on OFG have these units?

9. I have the LMS-480 which is your globalmap + sonar. So far I'm pretty happy with the unit except one problem. Took a buddy out to Berlin a week or so ago and when packing the boat up I noticed the cable for the GPS came out of the locking nut. Stupid me, just shoved it back in there without giving it a second thought, since after all they wouldn't need to send power down that cable.... wrong, cooked the gps puck and finally $250 and a new puck later I got a gps. Watch that cable on yours and if it comes apart test the pins with a volt meter to find the +12V pin and the ground and use the pin out diagram on their website to reattach the locking nut in the correct position. I also have the Navionics hotmaps you were asking about. They are okay, but not exactly what I expected. You get ramps/marinas, depth contours and locations of river/creek channels, sub/emergent vegitation, but little else excet for selected lakes. Mosquito Lake here in the NE has some additional data, but not crazy amounts more. Where they do help is on a new body of water like Kinzua where there are three different juristictions with no recep. agreements between them and this lake is 27 miles long with arms that wander though the mountains. First time out it would have been very easy to get lost especially being out after dark. But I have trusted the GPS with the hotmaps to giude me back into the ramp in complete darkness on a local lake without any problems. Just take your time and keep your eyes open in the dark navigating by GPS only and you get back safe and in a little less time.

Barry

Oops, one more thing for you. I got my unit right when they first came out. The early owners manuals make no mention of needing to power the NEMA 2000 bus. The eagle 480 unit and earlier Lowrance models do not require you to power the bus, but the new ones do (maybe for the WAAS???). There is a second power, ground and shield wire that was not mentioned to connect in the manual. twist the shield/ground together and attach them and the red positive wire to your power sources (+) and (-) and these will provide power to the bus. The message "GPS Module Not Responding" is an indication tha the bus as no power or in my case the GPS puck is fried.

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

The navionics "Hotmaps" chips are the less costly and less detailed of the chips available from Navionics. I use a navionics chip in my X-15 for Erie that is very detailed. It is especially nice in the western basin with all of the reefs and hunps, bottom contours clearly shown and named.

Go east of Cleveland on the lake and the chip doesn't do much for you are far as bottom contour, because there really isn't any unless you are near shore. But it does provide all of the contours that exist and the harbors etc. I like it.

Kim

11. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

thanks guys I heard about all that stuff about the power supply on WC and keep that in mind, in regards to the hotmaps, freedom, navionics I know nothing and will consult you guys again when I get those I am just getting the units this month and will worry about that next month, what do you guys think about color global map, I am thinking about putting in the car in the winter.