close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dying catfish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by traphunter, Jun 13, 2005.

1. traphunter

traphunter Guest

hey all, last year we had a catfish dye off in our small pond, which wiped out some of the biggest, if not the biggest, cats in there. I was hoping it was over but today I found another dead channel floating rotten along the bank. Does anyone know what could be the cause of these dying catfish. It seems like theh catfish is really the only fish that seems affected by it. Thanks for the info you may have,

...............SeTH

2. It might be because of lack of oxygen with this hot spell. If you recently had a large alge bloom it could be the problem. When it dies off it depleats the oxygen level. Do you see any other fish gasping for air?

If this is the problem you need to get an air bubbler for the pond, or a fountain something to add oxygen back to the water

3. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might have been the problem also so early this year my dad put a pump in there and it seems to do alright at areating the pond. Thats the weird thing though, I havent really seen any other fish in the there dying besides the catfish. I was thinking it might have been some kind of diesease in there that only the catfish get, but I dunno. Thanks for the reply, its appreciated.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

some of the other fish may have sank when they died.

5. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Odds are it is the lack of O2, it has happened alot this year in a bunch of diffrent waters.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

A private pond we fish and stocked with over 100 bass in Streetsboro was struck by lightning last year and killed everything in the pond.:( We put at least 10 bass over 5 pounds in there in '03 and '04.
    You can send a water sample to the state and they will analyze it for you and make recommendations on what could be wrong and how you can improve your ponds fish habitat.
    It's still free.

That pond is coming back. We stocked it with baitfish twice since last fall and add the first 26 largemouth last Saturday. Four of them were over 5 pounds.

7. One thing you should think about getting is a wind-mill for your pond...

8. their nice but when it gets hot and stagnet they are useless

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

could there be a lack of food for the cats? I guess if there are gills, they would have plenty to eat, but I thought I would throw it out there

10. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Thank you for your replys. I dont think its lack of oxygen because we have an areator going in there now. As far as lack of food, i dunno, i guess that could be a possibilty. Maybe I could start throwing a couple tubs of chicken liver in there a couple times a week.

11. Purina fish food 50lb bag for $16 ;)