Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I share one similarity with oldstinkguy, besides my love for the elusive bite, it would be that most my outings involve a head lamp as well. I have definitely proven to myself through personal "research" that bass seem to hit the best at sunset and sunrise hours. Most of my experience has been at dusk as I'm not the best morning person. Guys like OSG have inspired me to do many things, and more sunrise fishing is at the new top of the list after reading OSG's most recent report.

Anyways, on to my own report.
After getting all the awesome fatherly chores accomplished, I was pleasantly granted a couple hours os fishing leave. Being tight on time, decided to go to a spot close to home. All to surprised at the lack of other humans considering location and it being a holiday weekend.

Started out throwing a 4" senko and got a few dinkers biggest being about 8". Moved around the hole and hitting structure hard but couldn't find squat couple bites here and there but I'm thinking it was just dinks too small to get the ewg hook in its mouth. Switched to the teeny wee OS for about twenty minutes or so but not the slightest sign of life.

Being a half hour or so before dark, I decide to go back to the senko since I was getting at least a little interest in it. Changed my approach though. Switched from weight less rig to a 1/16 oz. bullet pegged and decided to focus on a current seem next to a good 6-7' deep hole around 15' round. Good decision too.

First cast landing perfectly silent at the adjacent end of the pool, I begin to slowly crawl it down current on the bottom. Get about dead center of the pool, let the lure settle for a short moment, and notice my line ever so slightly start to move up current. Feeling the anticipation of a bite, I get all happy and lower my rod reeling in a little slack, swing it back and experience an explosion of energy.

This brute jets straight towards me for about ten feet and the takes a sharp turn for the current. Man did I think I was the man, it felt like I was fight a 25" angry channel. I was fortunate enough to watch half the fight though (the mad was surprisingly clear despite the rain) and knew exactly what the bronze football jetting through the water was. A good couple of jumps and runs later, finally got a chunky 16" PB matching smallie.

1378109406154.jpg

After all that excitement, started pulling dummy moves and lost a few rigs. Figured the fish gods had decided I was done for the night. I will admit that a fly fisherman 50 yards upstream probably thought I was insane! But hey, when you pull a seemingly weightless 4" senko out of the water 3' with a 4" smb with all the worm but the hook in his mouth and just kinda stares at you for a few seconds before retreating to the water, you can't help but to laugh hysterically!

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
What area do you fish on the mad? I live less then a mile from it in medway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Cat.... I'm not too sure you measured that guy... It definitely looks bigger than 16".... Nice fish!

·
Pirateer
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cat.... I'm not too sure you measured that guy... It definitely looks bigger than 16".... Nice fish!
Yeah it fought like it was bigger. Didn't pinch the fins or anything but came just over 16". Maybe just the angle of the pic. Only second 16" I've caught and the first was from EW. River fish always seem to fight way more than fat lazy lake fish imo.

Wow, just realized; never thought I would argue my fish was smaller than what others believe. Haha. What kind of fisherman am I?

Sent from my V8000_USA_Cricket using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts