close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Duplex" for small game

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by Huntinbull, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Anyone else load "duplex" loads for small game? By duplex i mean two sizes of shot in one round to fill the pattern or extend range a little. My turkey load is a mix of #6 and #4 or #2 lead shot. For my 1150-1200 fps rounds I use 3/4 oz of #6 and 1/2 oz of #4. For my "stronger" loads (not recoil friendly) I use 3/4 oz #6 and 1/2 oz #2. By using the mixed shot you can extend your range to 40-45 yards and still have a fairly dense pattern. The heavier shot (2 or 4) carries energy a bit farther while the 6 shot fills out a nice pattern. I have tried loading 1 1/2 oz loads but it seems to leave gaps in my pattern from my gun so I dropped back to the 1 1/4 oz loads.

Reloading my own shells also allows me to save a little money, so I can practice more for the same cost. The highest priced turkey load with all the pellets in the world doesn;t help if you can;t afford to pattern your shotgun properly and practice less due to the cost of the ammunition.

Huntinbull

2. BigV

BigV BigV

I used Duplex loads early on in my turkey hunting career. I have since gone to a 3 ½’ gun and shoot only copper plated #6 shot. The Duplex loads seemed to work well in heavy cover, but beyond that I couldn’t see a real advantage.