Dumb questions

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Villain, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Ok, some of my questions sound dumb, but I am tired of trying "my way" when "my way" could bu the wrong way.

When fishing for toohty fisy, is it best to attach a steel leeder to the end of your line and attach the lure to the leeder?

How can I fish the bottom of a spillway and minimize the number if lost hooks and bait?

when fishing for Saugueye, Bass and the loke, is it best to have one smooth retrieve rythm, or retrieve and jerk your rod simultaneously?

I apologize for the silly questions, but I am fairly new to fishing for more that cats and crappie, and am losing the battle each time I come back empty handed. Any help would be great and hopefully I'll be able to post som pictures of my monster catches in the future.

2. By far i am nowhere close to being an expert in spillway fishing. But, i have caught a couple over the course of the years. Lure retrieve can be any of the ways you mentioned. I have caught fish all three ways. The fish will dictate your retrieve. I have also caught them using a jigging approach. Let the bait settle and then bring the rod tip up.This applies to saugeye cause i really dont fish for bass much. Water flow will also impact how you retrieve. If you are fishing a faster current your bait is going to get swept down stream faster. So a faster retrieve is a must. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

3. When you talk about "toothy" critters that could include various species. I would say that most everyone show fishes for eyes (walleye/sageye/sauger) choose not to use a steel leader. Most when fishing for pike and musky choose to use a leader. As with everything you will get some who do not follow the norm.

When fishing the spillways it is like a double edged sword. You will find many snags but unfortunately the fish tend to be where the snags are often times. Saugeyes love to hang out near the bottom and so you need to make contact with the bottom to find them. Certain lures are more prone to snagging than others and probably are better suited for fishing from a boat. For instance blade baits can be snag magnets and I never use them unless I am in a boat. I prefer using jigs in spillway areas or suspending crankbaits.

As far as whether to use a steady retrieve or a stop and go that decision is up to the fish. I think it varies depending on the mood of the fish so try using both ways. I like to use a slow steady retrieve at first and then progress to stop and go or hopping the jig if plan A fails.

Don't worry about the questions and whether they are dumb. Those are valid questions and I am sure you will get some other input from more guys here.

4. When fishing spillways I mainly use jigs as I know I will lose a couple. Also when you first fish a spot in the river I like to use a slow reel. That way I can feel the bottom and have an Idea of what the bottom is like. Then you can start to play with the jigs.

5. When using jigs in a tailwater make sure you use the right wieght. A 1/16 oz. works great when the flow is slow in alot of tailwaters. If you use a 1/4 oz. you will be forced to real too fast to stay out of snags which will drastically cut down on your number of hits. I rarely use anything heavier than an 1/8 oz. most of the time and often use 1/16 oz. One other important point is to keep your rod tip between 10 and 11 oclock when fishing a jig, slowly lowering it as the jig gets close to you. This will save you a bunch of jigs compared to the guys who hold there rod tips low. You'll also feel the strikes better.

6. I am certainly no expert either on saugeye, however, every thing that has been posted in this thread is great advice to follow. I have found that when at rocky spillways, if you don't lose a couple of jigs your not fishing right. I like to find one of the bigger rocks that has stolen some of my jigs and try to cast to either side of it. The fish will sit behind that rock in ambush and to stay out of major current. Logical questions.... sometimes the silly questions will get you the best answers. Keep on em, and the fish will come, that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

7. dont be afraid to ask questions of those around you who are catching fish. Ive had people come up to me and ask what size jig and what color tail I am using and I have no problem at all telling them. Then just watch how the ones catching fish are retreiving it. You will catch on soon enough.