close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dumb creek question

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by chrsvic, May 27, 2008.

1. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Fished a creek up north here over the weekend, caught a handful of smallies, pound to a pound and a half, fun on the ultralight.

My question is this - how can some creeks appear to become smaller as you go further downstream? An example of this would be Lost Creek in Miami County. (not where i caught the fish.) It appears sizable and deep around Casstown - yet further downstream, past Fulton's Farms and down to Tipp City, it seems to get smaller!

The only thing i can speculate is the soil/ground is different in some stretches, that the water percolates and flows underground. Surely Fulton's Farms doesn't use it all for irrigation.

2. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I googled and found on something on the americanrivers.org website, according to them in some cases streams get less water for two reasons:

a) evaporation; and
    b) absorption in the stream bed.

Although evaporation isn't as great here as it would be in other parts of the country, I think the case can be made for trying to maintain wooded cover on the banks of streams. Some stretches of the Stillwater, GMR, Twin Creek, etc, get cleared down to the waters edge - and you see erosion damage, and they could benefit from shade in the summer. Some folks have done some work to restore the vegetation - i think thats a good thing.