close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dude I got a Dell

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by Orlando, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Finally retired my 7 year old Gateway dinasour, and got a Dell. Man what a difference. Don't know how I got along with that old computer. Now if I can just get off this ancient dial up I'll be on my way. Thinking about Road Runner. Does anyone know if Road Runner is virus protected? Thanks

2. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

not sure what you mean by that..... not to be a smart azz but, the internet doesnt come virus protected....lol.....they do scan your incoming emails and remove any threats on them with RR email. but still, use best judgement.
    i have RR and wouldnt go back to anything less. and being on RR your always connected to the net, just like the commercial says. you (everyone) need to get anti-virii and a firewall.....its just common sense these days.... even on dial-up!!! and practice safe surfing... no hax sites warez sites and the like.... and if you use a p2p to download songs and stuff ( ;) ) your on your own there hehehe.....(my nefew had 200+ virii and 600+ spyware on his pc, b4 it "just wouldnt run no more" $400 cleanoff charge cuz he didnt want to lose his mp3's :rolleyes: )

free anti-v (avg anti-virus):
    http://www.grisoft.com

free (software) firewall:
    http://www.zonelabs.com

i'm not saying these are the best but its what i use.... there are many alternatives to these.... google is your friend

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I have virus protection and firewall now. I know that some interenet providers now include virus protection , just thought maybe RR was one of them Thanks

4. I think your question may stem from the AOL advertising of theirs being totally protected. I can not vouch for AOL's security as I have no experience with it. As for the other internet access methods, although they may tell you that they are scanning your e-mail that is only part of the risk. The toher areas are where your firewall software come into play. The firewall is designed to limit unauthorized access in to your computer via the internet as well as preventing malicious code from being dumped on to your computer when browsing the internet. So I think the answer is that the steps you are taking to protect yourself currently, you will want to continue with on Roadrunner or similar broadband providers.

I hope this helps.

5. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Road Runner does offer a firewall and virus protection program. It's free for one year. Go to the RR website and check details. -Hooch-

6. you might have an antivirus program from Norton/Smantec or Mafafee loaded as part of the factory installed software. For a firewall, I'm assuming your computer came with XP. Download Service pack 2 for XP and get a free built in firewall. I'd also explore the free anti-spyware download from microsoft for a cheap stop gap to help protect from those kinds of internet nasties.

Barry

7. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I have McAfee virus protection and McAfee Firewall. XP does come with a Firewall also

8. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Looks like RR does have virus protection. This is from their site:
    PLUS: FREE EZ Armor Security Software for RR Customers provided by Computer Associates:
    FREE Anti-Virus protection, FREE Firewall protection, FREE Pop-up Blockers, On-Off Parental Controls, FREE product upgrades and updates, so you're protected with the most up-to-date version, FREE web support*

9. Computer Associates EZ Armor is pretty comparable to what you have. If they offer it for free that would certainly be worth taking advantage of. I have used CA's corporate product and found them very responsive to new threats. I would not base my decision of ISP's on this security feature because you can get a solution for just a bit more than a month's subscription fee. But it is definitely a nice small feature for RR subscribers.