close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dual Pro Chargers

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Warpath, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Hey Folks!

My birthday is coming up around the corner and I have been saving up money to buy a new charger for my batteries. I definitely want to buy a Dual Pro, but I was wondering if I should get an Extreme 10/10/Eng or a Pro Series 10/10/10? The first seems to me like a better choice. I have two deep cycle batteries and a cranking battery. My engine has an alternator which would allow me to charge my deep cycles while I run the big motor. Only thing that boogles me is that BPS does not carry the 15/15/Eng version and I have no idea why. They don't even list them in the Master catalogs at all. Just the Pro, SE, and XL versions. Should I steer cleer of these and get a 10/10/10 for that matter?

Eric

2. My boat came with the Extreme 10/10/Eng and on my first few trips, my batteries were not charging. Ranger ended up pulling the unit and replacing it with the Pro Series. I had called BPS on the unit, and they indicated it would not work with a 24 volt system (what I had), that the advertising for the product had been wrong. This was in 2003, if your running 24 volt, you may want to dig a little deeper into this.

3. If your charging 3 batteries I would go with either:

Option 1:
    Three Bank Pro SE
    30 Amps 10,10,10
    5" X 8" X 11 1/2" 14 lbs.
    12V, 24V, 36V Trolling systems

Option 2:
    Three Bank Pro Charger
    45 Amps 15, 15, 15
    6" X 6 1/2" X 14 1/2" 22 lbs.
    12V, 24V, 36V Trolling Systems

I have the Option 2 currently and never have any problems with my batteries. My system is a 24Volt trolling system and also cranking battery. Most engines do have alternators/regulators but I still advise getting a 3 bank charger to keep that cranking battery topped off. If you run your electronics and livewells and bilge pumps there are days where your cranking battery will be drained pretty good.

The one I have tops off the batteries quicker to between recharges since it's 15amp per battery.

My first charger was the 10 amp though and in all honesty it worked fine for me too, just took longer to recharge batteries.

Dual Pro stands behind their products very well too. When my 10amp Dual Pro after 2 or 3 years went bad they replaced it totally for free and that's when they also upgraded my unit to the 15 amp (no extra charge)

www.dualpro.com has all the product info.

4. Looks like some of the posts were lost in this thread. I'm thinking of heading to the Sports Show on Thursday evening ($1 to get in) and when they open on Sunday. Let me know if this works with your schedule.

5. I was also wondering if the leads are long enough for the three batteries, or do they make extensions for them if the do not reach my batteries?

Eric

6. If everything is located in the back compartment/transom of your boat it should reach ok from what i've seen. I had plenty of cable for my triton setup.

7. My batteries are split up. The two deep cycle are in a compartment just in front of the console, and my cranking battery is located just behind the console and the fuel tank. I figure I'll put the charger under the console on the floor. Maybe 3 feet to the front two and 4 foot to the rear battery. How long are the leads?

Eric

8. They aren't that long i'm pretty sure. I'm thinking 3 feet or so. If you call dual pro they could tell you for sure.