close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dsl

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Phil Carver, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

I curently have DSL through my local cable company . It has always seemed slower than my dial up was . :( Could it be the modem ? If so , is there any place I could purchase a better one that the one the cable company provides me at a monthly fee ? It has to get better .

2. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Phil.... Find out what speeds your cable company is stating that you should be getting. Then look for the post I put up a day or 2 ago about speed test. This will give you a really great indication if you are really getting what you are paying for. :)

3. I have SBCYahoo DSL and it flies... I could simply be one of the lucky ones...

4. .. you may need to upgrade your system to take advantage of the faster service...

5. Phil,

Per my question on chat tonight, here's the aproved modem list:

http://usercenter.cox.net/rsuite/sdcuser/asp/unsupbrowser/MS_hardware_supported_modems.html

Also check out the speed tests and forums on dslreports.com and see if they are meeting their service level agreement as z said. Also cox tech support or people on the dslreports forums may be able to clue you in on some problem with the service. I'd check out the websites before you invest you hard earned $$$ on a modem that you'll most likely never use on anyone elses service but theirs. one other thing, do you have another computer you could try on the service to see if it's the computer?

Barry

6. Phil Carver

I have purchased a new pc about 2 mounths after I started my DSL . It is definatly the service or modem .

7. Phil Carver

Ran the test , this is what it said :(
    comunications - 112.8 kilobytes/sec
    storage - 13.8 kilobytes/sec
    1mb file down load - 1.2 minutes

8. Phil, do you have a router connected or running a firewall. There is definatly a problem there. I have wow advance package. The last test I ran was 3630 kbps down and 285 kbps up. Typically with DSL you should get what they are advertising, or really close.

Go to http://www.dslreports.com/linequality If you don't have an account with them, register, Its free. This will run some tests of your connection. It will tell you how much loss your getting and more info. PM me if you need help with anything. Good Luck

Jared

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Phil, there's definately a problem there regardless of what service type you have. Contact your service provider and have them troubleshoot the issue, but remove any hardware that might be causing the problem (such as a switch or router).

10. Phil Carver

I found my problem . Seems that the cable company had me on a different plan than I am am paying for . :( Needless to say , I was not happy !

11. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I went from cable to DSL back to cable. DSL is cheaper (generally) but also slower (still fast though). I wound up with WoW internet and cable, got a cable/internet package that was cheaper than I was paying for DirecTV alone, and it's 4MB. :D

Of course, I was ready to shoot them last night when they were DOWN :(

12. Phil Carver

Thats who I currently have Roger , they had me set up at a 112 kwps and I am on a 2.0 plan :(

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I've had DSL and Cable. Cable is by far the best. I had DSL through SBC, and it always lost sync... it sucked.

14. it may not be any thing on your end i use to live in maysville ky when cable first came out there i was one of the first to get it the speed was unreal after about 3 years more and more got cable also now its slower than a phone line at 4 pm threw the week .a easy way to tell if the provider is over its cap is to try at 3 am and then at about 4or430 pm when all the kiddes get out of school and log on