close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dryer Vent Hose - Time to Clean???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lil' Rob, Jan 16, 2005.

1. When is the last time you cleaned or replaced your clothes dryer vent???

With today's weather probably keeping most of us inside, now would be a good time to do so. Just a little preventative maintenance that could prevent a potential fire.

I just cleaned mine out. I try to do this every 3 or 4 months. Seems to be a good interval with just me and the wife here right now. That will change once my future hunting / fishing buddy arrives sometime early March.

2. clean them things out guys. A little percautionary can go a LONG way.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great suggestion! I have seen fires caused by just this type of thing. Lent is very flammable since it is 90% dust. Only takes a few minutes to prevent this. Thanks for the idea!

4. I find it hard to belive that there are ALOT too many to count people that I know of that don't even clean the lint trap in the dryer itself!!!!!

:confused: :confused: :eek: :confused: :confused:

5. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

its been 5 years i think ...Maybe i should check it (YA THINK!)...Thanks

6. I Repaired Washers An Dryers For Yrs...a Lot Of The Problem W/dryers Is That No One Hardly Ever Cleaned The Vents Out..if The Hot Moist Air Cant Vent,it Causes The Dryer To Work That Much Harder To Dry Clothes.in Turn Its A Waste Of Electric Or Gas..i Usually Just Replaced The Vent Hose As Its A Lot Less Trouble Than Cleaning It////

7. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

ARGEE..........I'll back up your claim ;) I build dryers for a living.........and get the see the field technical data for repairs. 65% of the repairs are from clogged lint chutes or vents. Can cause a number of problems........short out heater boxes, burn up thermos....burn up motors.....and like they said before......can even cause fires. Vents should be cleaned twice a year........a good way to remember it? When change your time (Spring ahead.....Fall Back) clean your dryer vents as well. Isn't that hard. :) Lint Screens should be cleaned before each load.

8. Good reminder guys! Although we do clean the lint screen before each load we are not nearly as attentive to the hose cleaning. I know when I can sit here and struggle to recall the last time I cleaned ours that we are overdue.:rolleyes: Fortunately I will be pulling the washer and dryer out in the next few days anyway as I will be painting that room. So this post came in very good timing for me.:D

9. catlover

catlover Banned

Don't even know how to clean mine. We just bought a house. When our dryer was delivered, I decided to clean out the exhaust first. The house is built over a crawl space. The vent goes down about a foot, then makes a 90 deg. bend and goes about 12 ft. to the outside vent. I rodded it as far as I could from both ends with a hanger and vacuumed it. I know that there is still a lot down there. Dont know how to clean it with out calling some kind overpriced professional.
    I knew a guy once who didnt bother with a vent. He just put an old nylon over the exhaust and emptied every week or so. Dangerous? I don't know.