close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry Spell

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Robocat, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Robocat

Robocat Rob

I've been fishing several times this week and only have one 2lb channel cat to show for all of my efforts.....My usual set up is a Slip sinker rig using a 2oz or 3oz no roll sinker followed by a single bead (to protect the knot) tied to my split ring swivel. I then attach a 10" to 12" florocarbon leader(usually 12lb or 15lb test) to the swivel and tie it off with 3/0 to 5/0 Circle hook. Lately I've been using cut chubs for bait but sometimes I use cut shiners. I have some decent rod holders to set my rods in and I set my reels(Abu Garcia 6501-C3's) in free-spool but with the clickers on....I usually fish this rig very tight-lined and have noticed lately that when a fish strikes that I get a short burst of line taken out but then the fish seems to just drop it. By the time that I pick up the rod the fish is gone....When I reel in the line my bait is usally still there. :confused: ...My first thought is that the bites may be small fish and that they do not like the tension from the clickers, however, there are times that I have felt the fish on the line when I picked up the rod but they don't stay hooked for very long. Any comments or suggestions regarding my setup? Should I leave a little slack in my line once my rig is on the bottom? :confused:

2. I think your set up is fine. Bites like that usually seem to be small channel cats, or the dreaded "back stroker". :D I've never been convinced that the clickers can spook fish. The drag from the line in the water is more than the clicker tension. If fish will hook themselves on circles or limblines, I don't think the clicker will spook them.

3. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I have had the same problem and was able to hook one...they are the smaller cats, around the 6-10 inch range. My set up is exactly like yours and I would get a tug like its going to be a good one and I would let the fish take it and then set the hook and each time it seems like the bait is too big for the fish because it just seems to come out of the mouth without the hook hooking the fish. I was only able to get them with a size 4 hook with a worm. Try using a smaller hook and bait and if it is a small cat or turtle.

4. Robocat

Robocat Rob

Thanks for your input guys! I appreciate it!.....I went out last night and fished for several hours and used my same setup and was four for four on channel cats. The smallest fish was about 13 inches and the largest fish was about 22 inches in length. All of these fish hit the bait hard and kept on going....There's nothing quite like the sound of those clickers going "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!".....One thing that I did notice was on a couple of my hookups that once I began putting pressure on the fish as I reeled that a couple of them were swimming towards me instead of away from me and that I was having to reel faster in order to keep constant pressure on them. Fortunately I had solid hook sets on all of them (thank you circle hooks!). :) Of course once I got them close to shore the fight was really on!...All four fish were caught and released and made for a enjoyable evening!

5. Ive had that problem in the Tusc many of times...The little channel cats will dang near double over your rod and then you reel in and there is no sign of even a bite...I agree with the worm thing...use worms and like a bluegill hook (long shank) and you should be able to catch them...

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

Seems to be happening in the GMR lately also.