close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dry Fork Creek Report 6/22/04!!!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cowboy, Jun 22, 2004.

1. went to dry fork creek today, caught 4 smallmouth all over 1lb, on brown flake zoom brush hawg. and missed another one on the same bait, also one of those fish was caught on green tube, both baits were texas rigged. I think the creek smallmouth are finally coming around now that the postspawn is thru, two of the fish smashed the bait as soon as it hit the water. My biggest was about 2 and 1/4 lbs. Also all fish were released!!!!!!!!!!

2. catfishhunter001

catfishhunter001 The Natural

Iwent to clark lake to thrownet some shad below the dam.Then went to my favorite chub creekand caught about 8 doz chubs for this weekend before it rained again.and on my way home i stoped at a small creek that i fish that nobody else fishes because it looks so small but if you walk upstream about 1/8 mile there are 2 deep holes.I caught a dozen or so small smallmouths and 5 between 2 and 4.5 lbs the biggest i ever caught from that creek was 7.3lbs 3 years ago but around where i live this is the only place i have found to catch smallmouth regulerly.the creek is called sugarcreek.they usualy hit best on those moss green yumm tube crawls man they tear them things up. I use it in a carolina rig and just barely move it then let it sit after a couple of times they pick it up and hall fin upstream.all the smallies i caught today i also released.not enough smallmouth around it is 1 fish that should always be released. good luck on your next trip and keep that drag loose. catfishhuner001.................................................................................

3. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

:confused: this is HUGE, and quit possibly a record for a small stream/creek......... :eek:

4. Cowboy- Dry Fork of the Whitewater River?

7LB creek smallie :confused:

5. yeah, I was fishing way up on the creek though, about 10 miles upstream!!!!

6. catfishhunter001 I live near sugarcreek and want to know which area you fish. You are right I thought it was to small to hold any fish that size.

7. catfishhunter001

3 Years ago I caught this fish put it in my airiated cooler and took it home I thaught it would be a record I called Skip mitchell local game warden because I thaught it might be a record but it was not all i got was a fish ohio award.and the fish was released back into sugar creek.i have caught 5 and 6lb'rs from that creek throuout most the summer and all fall long.but if anyone hits this place lets all try to practice catch and release.Good smallmouth fishing is getting harder to come by these days. :)

8. Tell me this catfishunter, I have been looking for a good fishing hole close to home. Can you tell me if you fish sugarcreek close to the reserve or farther up or down stream? You do not have to give exact location. I would hate to intrude on a fellow fishermans territory. But any hints to fish that creek would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

9. catfishhunter001

I fish sugar creek between jeffersonville and south solon right at the boundry of fayette and madison county on a country rd right off rt323 aprox 3miles from bookwalter but the creek its self is like i said looks small and shallow but you got to look for bends in the creek where the water gets to be 3-4' deep and those smallies hold up in them holes. the only reserve i know of is the one in jasper mills and im quite a way's out from there im just about as far upstream as you can go i fish the last few deep holes before it turns into a stream.I've often wonderd why they are so abundent in this part of the creek because i have fished sugar creek all over with no luck(smallmouth fishing) and whats even stranger i have never caught a large mouth out of any of these holes.

10. smalliehunter

smalliehunter "The Mighty Wing Man"

Holy son....... realize the state record is 9 lbs and it was caught in a lake.....to find smallies that size in a small river let alone a stream with a few small holes is really hard to believe. And to consistantly catch them that size is truly amazing............. Tell me how you fish a stream, i assume you are wading it, carrying a arieated cooler? Are you fishing live bait to have a need for this type of set up, or is it for keeping the fish alive until you get home to i assume weigh them. :confused: :confused: In any event good job on the smallies...... :D

11. catfishhunter001

this creek has lots of smallmouth but 5-6lbrs is not the norm.they are only 1 out of 8or10 if there in there that day.but there are allways smallies there.I dont wade this creek because they spook easy i usualy creep up and stay low.i carry an airiated cooler in my truck whenever i go fishing for bass or crappie (you never know what you might catch).It seams like they like those YUMM tube crawls{moss green}.thats what i catch just about all of them on.this creek also holds large numbers of rock bass up to about a pound.last year me and a friend went there{first time i ever took someone with me}it was july and in one day the two of us caught and released 32 smallies out of two holes.the water was so clear you could see huge schools of them.most of the ones we caught where 1-3lbs with some bigger ones mixed in and lost just as many.Trick is dont let them know your there...catfishhunter001......

12. catfishhunter001

I try not to hit this creek to much usualy 2or3 times a month im more into catfish but this creek is about 1.5 miles from my house.And i always catch fish out of it .the only time smallies ant hitten is when the carp get real thick about 3 weeks during the summer.And around early august crappie move in for about a week. This creek is realy a special place. catfishhunter001